History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mount House,with Railings Gates and Gate Piers on North Side

A Grade II* Listed Building in Alderley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6153 / 51°36'55"N

Longitude: -2.3347 / 2°20'4"W

OS Eastings: 376923

OS Northings: 190772

OS Grid: ST769907

Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.QK0

Mapcode Global: VH95G.HN3K

Entry Name: The Mount House,with Railings Gates and Gate Piers on North Side

Listing Date: 17 September 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090653

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132149

Location: Alderley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Alderley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Alderley St Kenelm

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Alderley

Listing Text

ST 79 SE ALDERLEY ALDERLEY VILLAGE

8/4 The Mount House, with railings,
gates and piers on north side.

17.9.52

GV II*


Large detached house. Late C17 core, altered to south 1756, to
north 1785. Rendered, with stone dentil cornice and parapet,
Cotswold stone slate roof hipped to the west, brick stacks. Double
range with angled corner to north east and large canted bays to
each range at west end. 2 storeys and attic. North front of 7
windows, mostly original 12-pane sashes with moulded stone
architraves. Doorcase to right of centre with moulded stone
architrave, dentil pediment supported on fluted consoles, and fine
6-panel door with fielded panels and retaining original lock and
key in working order. South front of 6 uneven bays with central
round-headed windows on each floor, remaining windows as north
front. Doorcase to right of centre up 3 curved moulded stone steps,
with plain pediment supported on fluted consoles and with 6-panel
door with top 2 panels glazed, also with original lock gear.
Interior: Most of the original joinery of the C18 survives,
including very fine wooden staircase in entrance hall with carved
string, turned balusters, and ramped handrail. On north side of
house, wrought iron double gates with raised central scrolled
motif, flanking rusticated stone piers on moulded bases with fluted
frieze and rounded pyramidal copings. To each side, railings with
inset diamond pattern on stone base with stone piers marking ends
of house, slightly smaller than gatepiers and of ashlar with fluted
frieze. This was the last residence of Marianne North, botanist,
died 1890, and she laid out the gardens during 1880s. Some of the
original layout and plants still survive, including a stone sundial
with a bronze memorial plaque to her last pet opossum mouse, Sir
Henry, brought from Tasmania. She is buried in the churchyard of
the Church of St. Kenelm (q.v.).


Listing NGR: ST7692390772

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.