History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wycliffe College Chapel Spire

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7442 / 51°44'39"N

Longitude: -2.2805 / 2°16'49"W

OS Eastings: 380730

OS Northings: 205092

OS Grid: SO807050

Mapcode National: GBR 0L5.L7S

Mapcode Global: VH94X.FF77

Entry Name: Wycliffe College Chapel Spire

Listing Date: 24 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090683

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132014

Location: Stonehouse, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Stonehouse

Built-Up Area: Stonehouse

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Stonehouse St Cyr

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Stonehouse

Listing Text

SO 8005 SE STONEHOUSE BATH ROAD
(south side)

7/139 Wycliffe College chapel spire


II

Tower with spire. 1921 -for Wycliffe College. Ashlar limestone;
coursed and squared rubble to lower stage. Two-stage tower, lower
stage having angle buttresses with gabled tops. Recessed brass
inscription memorial plate on east side with crocketed projecting
hood; 2-light lancet on north side. Two large 2-light louvred
belfry openings with tracery to each face of upper stage. Plain
corner pilasters to upper stage project up to become square
pinnacles with trefoil panel to each face and spirelet tops each
linked by small flying buttress to base of octagonal spire. Top of
upper stage is octagonal with crenellated parapet; circular clock
face with hoodmould to each face of tower just below crenellation.
Small lucarnes to spire on cardinal faces. Attached chapel
building is not of special interest. Tower and spire were added as
war memorial to previous Methodist Church, burnt down in 1939.
Present chapel rebuilt in 1952.


Listing NGR: SO8073005092

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.