History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn to North West of Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upton St. Leonards, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8257 / 51°49'32"N

Longitude: -2.1884 / 2°11'18"W

OS Eastings: 387109

OS Northings: 214132

OS Grid: SO871141

Mapcode National: GBR 1LM.KHZ

Mapcode Global: VH94L.0CXS

Entry Name: Barn to North West of Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Last Amended: 30 September 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090745

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131863

Location: Upton St. Leonards, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL4

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Upton St. Leonards

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Upton St Leonards St Leonards

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Matson

Listing Text

SO 81 SE UPTON ST LEONARDS PORTWAY
(east side)

6/202 Barn to north-west of Manor
Farmhouse
10.1.55 (previously listed as
Tithe Barn)

GV II*

Large barn with attached stable at east end. C15, possibly
earlier; late C17 stable. Very large coursed and squared
limestone; timber framing; coursed rubble to stable; stone slate
roof (clay pantile to north slope). Off-centre south porch to 6-
bay barn; stable with loft. South side: stone base walls with
chamfered plinth and buttresses; gabled porch with plank barn doors
and outshut to right; weatherboarded porch gable and upper part of
barn walls; low opening in wall to left of porch with plank doors;
plain stone side wall to stable. East end: barn end is half-hipped
with small gablet, gabled stable with 2 stable doors having timber
lintels; central loft door over with timber lintels; 3 rows of
pigeon holes in gable apex. North side: weatherboarded above
buttressed stone base walls as to south; central porch with raised
sprocketted roof; attached shelter sheds are not of special
interest. West end: weatherboarded half-hipped gable end with
gablet above buttressed stone base wall.
Interior has 7 raised cruck trusses with very high cambered collars
and arched bracing; 2 rows of purlins and ogee-curved wind bracing;
close studded end walls; small framing along sides. Internal span
of approximately 8.2m across feet of crucks. Rafters and framing
are original: C15 work is largely intact with little evidence of
repair or replacement. C19 iron tie-rods sag and appear
unnecessary. A lofty and elegant structure. Important barn and
one of the best in the county. Possibly built as Tithe Barn for
Gloucester Abbey. Manor Farmhouse stands to south east (q.v.).
(N.W. Alcock, Cruck Construction: An Introduction and Catalogue,
1981). _ _ _


Listing NGR: SO8710914132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.