History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Quedgeley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8259 / 51°49'33"N

Longitude: -2.2812 / 2°16'52"W

OS Eastings: 380716

OS Northings: 214182

OS Grid: SO807141

Mapcode National: GBR 0K6.D2Q

Mapcode Global: VH94J.DCWL

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090771

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131823

Location: Quedgeley, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Civil Parish: Quedgeley

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Quedgeley

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Gloucester

Listing Text

SO 81 SW QUEDGELEY SCHOOL LANE
(north side)

5/161 Church of St. James

10.1.55

GV II*

Parish church. C14; heavily restored and rebuilt 1857 by
H.Woodyer; further alterations c1890 by S.Gambier-Parry.
Limestone ashlar; stone slate roof. Nave with north aisle and
south chapel; south tower and porch; north organ transept and
vestry; chancel. Moulded pointed-arched C14 south doorway to
tower with plank door; C19 timber framed south porch with
pointed-arched doorway, flanked by leaded lancets continuing to
sides; ashlar base walls. Broach spire to 2-stage tower with
single diagonal offset buttress; square stair turret to west with
diagonal set shouldered-arched tower stair doorway having plank
door; chamfered square openings to tower above string course; 2-
light lancet belfry openings with stone louvres; 4 small lucarnes
to spire. Diagonal offset buttresses to east end of south chapel
with 2-light Decorated window to south and gabled east end, both
with quatrefoil tracery. C19 restored buttressed and parapet
gabled west end with re-set medieval carved grotesque mounted on
valley parapet; 3-light west nave window and 2-light to north
aisle, both with Decorated tracery. Diagonal offset corner
buttresses at ends of C19 north aisle with moulded pointed-arched
north doorway and plank door; square-headed aisle windows with
fluid Decorated tracery; 3-light to left of door, 2-light to
right. Gable end of organ transept flush with north aisle has 2-
light window; vestry to left has lean-to roof from chancel and
transept. C19 three-light east window with reticulated tracery;
3 windows in south chancel wall all of different designs;
externally projecting squint from south chapel to left with coped
top. Restored interior with plastered walls. Several orders to
chamfered arch between tower and nave; similar archway between
south chapel and tower; lower pointed arch between south chapel
and nave; nave wagon roof with reused timbers. Arcade to north
aisle of 3 bays in late C13 style with round columns having moulded
capitals and bases; 4-bay scissor and collar-braced trussed aisle
roof. Timber panelled barrel roof to south chapel with carved
bosses and coats of arms. C19 chancel arch; squints to left and
right, both Cl9, that to left used as access to organ with 2-light
opening to north aisle; paired shouldered-arched opening between
chancel and organ chamber with slender central columnm is addition
by Gambier-Parry; tiled steps to altar, with carved reredos which
is reproduction of Last Supper; timber panelled chancel roof.
C16 carved hexagonal timber pulpit front on C19 stone base. Cl9
octagonal stone font below tower with coloured stone inlay;
contains cylindrical lead font. Cl9 choir stalls and pews.
Baroque memorial on south chapel wall with scrolled pediment above
twisted Ionic columns; bolection moulded inscription panel
inscribed in Latin to 'Gulielmi Hayward' died 1684; pedimented
memorial on east chapel wall to Margaret Berrow, died 1717;
memorial with shrouded urn over to FRANCIS HAYWARD, died 1787;
memorials to many other members of Berrow, Hayward and Curtis
Hayward families in south chapel. Memorial tablet in tower, reset
over south doorway inscribed in crude capitals to RYCHARD BEROW,
died 1562. On south nave wall memorial with 2 urns on obelisk
ground inscribed to THO: HAYWARD, died 1781. Small memorial brass
on south chancel wall engraved in Gothic script to Frideswide and
Mary Porter, dated 1532. West window has stained glass by Kempe;
fragments of medieval glass in south chapel window; other stained
glass is mostly early C20. Picturesque effect of church is
reinforced by Woodyer's rebuilding. (K. Morgan, 'Quedgeley' in
V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp.215-224; D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The
Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1976.)


Listing NGR: SO8071614182

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.