History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elmore Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Elmore, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8362 / 51°50'10"N

Longitude: -2.3165 / 2°18'59"W

OS Eastings: 378285

OS Northings: 215333

OS Grid: SO782153

Mapcode National: GBR 0JY.WP0

Mapcode Global: VH94H.S3PQ

Entry Name: Elmore Court

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090810

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131709

Location: Elmore, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Elmore

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Elmore

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Elmore

Listing Text

SO 71 NE ELMORE ELMORE VILLAGE

1/53 Elmore Court
10.1.55
II*

Large country house. Between 1564 and 1588; additions and
alterations: C18, early C19, and c1869. Limestone ashlar;
ashlar chimneys with moulded caps; plain tile roof. Central hall
with cross-wings; 2- and 3-storey; large single-storey service
wing to rear. South front: accumulation of features of various
dates in asymmetrical facade. At centre 2 early C18 segmental
headed mullioned and transomed casements, that on left largely
replaced by C18 porch in Doric order with 3 columns in row to each
side and with balustraded parapet bearing Guise arms; 3 narrow
sashes above; large C16 mullioned and transomed octagonal bay
window to right with 2 sashes above bay parapet; further right
facade is 3-storey with continuous drip moulds and has large
projecting octagonal-ended single-storey C18 bay window with 3
sashes in segmental headed openings and moulded architraves,
surmounted by parapet with urns; 2 ovolo-moulded cross windows
above to second floor; the height of this part of facade
regularized by continuous moulded parapet. Left part of south
front is 3-storey 5-window early C19 rebuilding with sashes and
plain banding between floors; parapet to match remainder of
facade. Hipped roofs; C19 ashlar chimney stacks with moulded
caps. East facade: also an accumulation. Earliest features are
two 3-light recessed chamfered mullioned cellar windows, now
blocked, and round arched C16 blocked doorway with imposts and
keyed architrave with cornice over on small brackets and rusticated
panel above; otherwise facade is C18 five-window with sashes in
moulded openings to lower 2 storeys and six C19 round arched
openings to top storey with rusticated architraves and small-paned
casements with fanlights; very large blocked round arched opening
with moulded architrave to east side of bay projecting to left in
south facade, probably garden doorway; moulded parapet continues
from south front. North elevation: left half continues facade
with moulded parapet from east, having 2-window fenestration in 3
storeys, all 9-light ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed
casements except small-paned sash to left in ground floor. Right
half is C19, part gabled, windows being mullioned and transomed
with relieving arches. West facade: to right early C19,
otherwise c1869 (date on doorway with bracketed porch hood); 3-
storey 5-window with sashes in beaded openings.
Interior has many features dating from C16 house. Great Hall
largely remodelled but has stone C16 fireplace with painted
strapwork. C16 bay window re-glazed in 1853 with heraldic stained
glass. Drawing room with Jacobean panelling having continuous
frieze with dragon carving; fireplace with strapwork decoration
and 2 shields in heraldic chimneypiece above. Oak staircase in
small hall on north side is late C16, and serves 3 storeys; large
square newel posts with moulded finials and slanted balusters;
brattishing to hand rail. Over Great Hall the Oak Room contains
elaborately carved oak C16 chimneypiece, embellished with caryatids
and 3 round arched panels with the arms of the Guise and
Pauncefoote families, with the Guise impaling Pauncefoote in
central panel. Another upper floor room contains cruder C16
chimneypiece carved with figure of Father Time in circular recess.
The C16 house was built on site of medieval house whose remains are
said to be visible in the cellars. Stands on land in ownership of
Guise family since C13. Site is on slight hill and is therefore
dominant in the otherwise flat landscape. (Anon., Elmore Court,
(guidebook), n.d.; article in Country Life, 26th December, 1914;
and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean,
1976.)


Listing NGR: SO7828515333

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.