History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hardwicke Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hardwicke, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8037 / 51°48'13"N

Longitude: -2.3091 / 2°18'32"W

OS Eastings: 378786

OS Northings: 211712

OS Grid: SO787117

Mapcode National: GBR 0KB.YWN

Mapcode Global: VH94H.XXNP

Entry Name: Hardwicke Court

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090815

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131725

Location: Hardwicke, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Hardwicke

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hardwicke

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Elmore

Listing Text

SO 71 SE HARDWICKE BRISTOL ROAD
(west side)

4/69 Hardwicke Court

10.1.55

GV II*

Large country house. 1817-19; by Sir Robert Smirke for T.J. Lloyd-
Baker. Limestone ashlar; brick service wings; Welsh slate roof.
Central staircase plan; central 3-storey block; 2-storey side
wings. Front: windows 2:1:2 with central square single-storey
porch having plain paired pilasters and narrow side sashes; plain
unmoulded window openings; tall 15-pane (3 x 5) ground floor
sashes; 12-pane to middle storey 6-pane to top floor; plain band at
first floor level; moulded cornices above, that to top floor with
plain blocking course above; low pitched roof, parapet-gabled at
ends; moulded caps to ashlar chimney stacks. Flanking 2-storey
side wings project forwards with single-window fenestration; large
tripartite sash in segmental headed opening to ground floor with
smaller square-headed tripartite sash above; hipped parapet roof.
South end: paired 15-pane sashes to side wing in central break
forward; 2 blocked openings above. North end: 3 blocked openings
to each floor. Back: service block projects from front range;
ground floor in ashlar limestone with segmental arched scattered
fenestration; upper floors are addition in brick with cambered
arched sashes; further single-storey service wing projects to
south-west. Plain Neo-classical interior: hall lit from porch
through arched inner glazed screen with open well staircase on axis
with central hall; Neo-classical marble fireplaces to each
principal room. Stands in landscaped park with terracing to east
of house enclosing fountain pool (q.v.). Straight canal to south
on axis of former house. Built as replacement for Trye family
manor house of C16 and C17. (Article in County Life, 5th July
1978; C.R. Elrington, 'Hardwicke' in V.C.H. Glos.x, 1972 pp. 178-
188; and D.Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean,
1976.)


Listing NGR: SO7878611712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.