History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Four Monuments in the Churchyard Circa 7.5 Metres South of West Tower to the Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Painswick, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7851 / 51°47'6"N

Longitude: -2.1951 / 2°11'42"W

OS Eastings: 386640

OS Northings: 209625

OS Grid: SO866096

Mapcode National: GBR 1M6.3VJ

Mapcode Global: VH94R.WDXC

Entry Name: Four Monuments in the Churchyard Circa 7.5 Metres South of West Tower to the Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090971

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133424

Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Painswick

Built-Up Area: Painswick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Painswick

Listing Text

PAINSWICK NEW STREET
SO 8609 (part) (south east side)

Four monuments in the
9/237 churchyard c.7.5 m south
of west tower to the
Church of St Mary

GV II

Two chest tombs and two headstones.

(a) Chest further west. To Thomas Tanner, Clothier, 1752. Limestone. A lofty
chest with segmental ends; moulded edge to top, good sharp carving to cartouche
east end, urn, palm and boldly modelled cherub to west. South has circular
panel in square and north a circle within square to segmental indented corners.
Flat cavetto base.

(b) Circa 2 m east of the last, lofty chest to inset corners. To John Edwards,
Clothier, 1751. Limestone. Cavetto edge to flat top, egg and dart to end
friezes over fielded panels which die into north and south panels. North badly
worn, south has shaped raised panel mould with rococo corners; Cavetto base.
Some lettering, but not now decipherable. Information from 1879 survey.

(c) Headstone c.3 m east of preceding. C18. Limestone. Shaped top following
line of cherub with wings and side drops; sunk inscription panel, not legible.
Rather badly worn, but outlines of an unusual stone still discernible.

(d) Headstone immediately south of preceding. C18. Limestone. Cambered top
containing two cherub heads with vigorous rococo scrolls and drops; raised
inscription panel, not legible.


Listing NGR: SO8664009625

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.