This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7895 / 51°47'22"N
Longitude: -2.1582 / 2°9'29"W
OS Eastings: 389183
OS Northings: 210107
OS Grid: SO891101
Mapcode National: GBR 1M2.M6H
Mapcode Global: VH94S.J9W0
Entry Name: Church of St John the Apostle
Listing Date: 21 October 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133230
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sheepscombe St John the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
PAINSWICK CHURCH HILL, Sheepscombe
SO 81 SE
2/55 Church of St John the
Anglican parish church. 1820, by John Wight, and 1872 by Francis Niblett.
Limestone ashlar, stone slate roof to coped gables. Nave, south aisle, chancel,
vestry, small west tower over porch. West front has two Y-tracery 2-light
windows with drip stones flanking the projecting tower with smaller single light
over 4-centred head door in square label mould; clock, 2-light Y-tracery louvred
opening to bell stage; parapet with 4 pinnacles, ogee leaded cupola. Two lofty
pinnacles on square buttresses to flanks, saddle back coping plus string. To
right is added aisle with cusped lancet, and south side has 3 bays with 2-light
windows under square heads with hoods, and a small door at east end. Return
left has three 2-light with Y-tracery. 3-light east window flanked by square
buttresses with gabled cappings, two 2-light Decorated style to south side.
Good C19 west door has, carved around containing arch: 'The Rich and the Poor
meet together. The Lord is the maker of them all', all in caps. Interior has
small gallery to tower with quatrefoil openings in stone balustrade, shallow
chancel with facetted roof; nave has king post roof, and 4-bay arcade. Pitch
pine pews, octagonal font dated 1849. List of incumbents from 1821. Various
tablets. East window glazed 1872.
(VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol XI; Verey, D, Gloucestershire and the Cotswolds,
Listing NGR: SO8918310107
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings