History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ebworth Farm with Stable and Coach House

A Grade II Listed Building in Painswick, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8 / 51°48'0"N

Longitude: -2.1468 / 2°8'48"W

OS Eastings: 389971

OS Northings: 211275

OS Grid: SO899112

Mapcode National: GBR 1M2.41P

Mapcode Global: VH94S.Q0XX

Entry Name: Ebworth Farm with Stable and Coach House

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133179

Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Painswick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Sheepscombe St John the Apostle

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Painswick

Listing Text

PAINSWICK
SO 81 SE
2/3 Ebworth Farm with stable
and coach house
II
Farmhouse attached to earlier stables and coach house. C16, C18 and C19. Large
blocks squared limestone in part, normal coursed and squared elsewhere, concrete
tile roof. The long stable and coach building lies at the higher level and is
in part much earlier than the farmhouse which lies much lower, the whole being
across a steep slope. The 1850 house lies parallel with the service block, is
3-storey, has a 3 storey porch and a low wing; windows mainly C20, the wing has
a 2-light window with arched lights, and an octagonal stack. The upper block is
in 2 storeys. Far left are two broad openings with elliptical arches with
raised band and keystone, on small pilasters with imposts; to the right of
these, under a continuous moulded string, a round-arched through way, two 3-
light mullioned casements with arched lights, and a plank door in flush stone
surround and elliptical head. Extreme right is a further 3-light and
elliptical-headed opening with plank door, again under a moulded string. This
work is probably of the C16. There is a cored stone eaves cornice, above which
four flush gables both with 2-light mullioned casements and stopped hood, as
windows below, one with a large shouldered C19 loading opening, under a small
single light with stopped hood. There is a slight offset plinth. Right return
has a 2-light C18 recessed ovolo mould mullioned casement under stopped hood,
below which was a doorway, now blocked. Decorative barge-board and signs here
of roof being raised. Stables have stone floors and good stall dividers; one
part also with hay loft. Important survival belonging to Ebworth Lane,
demolished late C20.


Listing NGR: SO8997111275

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.