History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lake Mill and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6914 / 51°41'29"N

Longitude: -2.1933 / 2°11'35"W

OS Eastings: 386734

OS Northings: 199203

OS Grid: ST867992

Mapcode National: GBR 1N5.Y0R

Mapcode Global: VH954.XRV6

Entry Name: Lake Mill and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 24 March 1988

Last Amended: 26 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091150

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132961

Location: Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Minchinhampton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Minchinhampton with Box

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Minchinhampton

Listing Text


In the entry for:-

ST 89 NE MINCHINHAMPTON AVENING VALLEY

7/168 Lake Mill and attached outbuildings
at Longfords Mills (Building Nos
22; 22a, 23, 24, 25 and 26)

GV II

The description shall be amended to read:

ST 89 NE MINCHINHAMPTON AVENING VALLEY

7/168 Lake Mill and attached outbuildings
Nos 22, 22A, 23, 24, 25 and 26)

GV

Mill buildings (Buildings 22, 22A and 23) with attached outbuilding
range. Building 22 of 1806-9; engine-house (Building 22A) to left
added c1814-16; Building 23 to right is 1806-14 addition; originally
powered by water from newly-created lake. Coursed limestone rubble;
concrete tile and diagonal asbestos roofs, stone slate to
outbuildings. Four-storey rectangular-plan block to mill building
with attached lower wings, 2-storey to west and 3-storey with attic
to east. Single-storey outbuilding range to north-east forms L plan.
South side: 7-window fenestration to central block, all with dressed
segmental-arched surrounds to fixed lights. Central dressed round-
arched doorway altered to window. Similar windows to flanking wings,
some leaded casements. West wing (22A) has round-arched doorway and
small niche at attic level in gable end containing bell; this is
e v
inscribed "Dame Alys Hamtan, A°MLV X , said to have been cast in 1515
and dedicated to a Benefactress of Minchinhampton, installed by
William Playne in 1806. North elevation has similar segmental-arched
fenestration as to south. Interior: springers and blocks indicate
position of 3 former wheel pits to ground floor, which were served by
a canal feeding round from the lake. Floors above all have a central
row of octagonal posts showing evidence of shafting. 7-bay roof with
lower trenched purlins, upper butt purlins and 2 collars; lower
collars cogged for joists of storage floor; timber lintel over wide
half-blocked opening to right gable. Building 22A has 2-bay roof with
iron king-post truss and stone mounting block from former steam
engine. Building 23 has 2-bay collar-truss roof with yoke to apex,
and flue.
Buildings 24, 25 and 26: Buildings 25 and 26 are early C19 with
evidence of housing former water wheel to Building 25; linked c1830
by Building 24 (probably built for drying cloth) to Lake Mill. One
storey, taller to Building 24, to higher ground level on west . 2-
storey east elevation has segmental-arched half-blocked doors, blocked
windows and C19 casements; mid C20 r.s.j. over wide window to centre
right; lunette to centre. North gable end (of Building 26) had
lunette above 2 early C19 plank double doors with strap hinges.
Interior: Building 24 has early C19 teazle-raising gig and mid C19
two-bay king-post roof; Building 25 has early potting tanks (a
process specific to the West of England), a crane and beams set on
corbels; later C19 roof.
History: Lake Mill was constructed soon after the creation of the
large lake in 1806. The leat was taken from the lake (to the south
east) to a pool to the north of the site. The engine house (22A) was
built to house a Boulton and Watt steam engine, for which plans of
1814 survive; this building was reduced in height later in the C19.
Notes made by William Playne around 1839-41 state that Building 24 was
built in 1829 as a gig mill house with a drying house and coloured
wool stove over, and that Buildings 25 and 26 were built as dyehouses
in 1815 and converted for cloth steaming vats by 1839.
(N.M. Herbert, "Minchinhampton", in V.C.H., Glos. xi. 1976, pp 184-
207; A T Playne, Minchinhampton and Avening. 1915; J Tann,
Gloucestershire Woollen Mills, 1967; RCHN report, 1991)

------------------------------------

ST 89 NE MINCHINHAMPTON AVENING VALLEY

7/168 Lake Mill and attached outbuildings
at Longfords Mills (Building Nos
22, 22a, 23, 24, 25 and 26)

GV II

Mill building with attached outbuilding range. 1806. Coursed
rubble limestone; concrete tile and diagonal asbestos roofs, stone
slate to outbuildings. Four-storey block with attached lower
wings, 2-storey to west end, 4-storey with attic to east. Single-
storey outbuilding range forms L-plan. South side: 7-window
fenestration to central block, all segmental arched with fixed
lights. Central round arched doorway altered to window. Segmental
arched casements to flanking wings, some leaded. East end: 2-
window segmental arched casement fenestration. West end: small
niche at attic level in gable end contains bell, probably that
O L E V
inscribed 'Dame Alys Hamton, A M V X ', said to have been cast
in 1515 and dedicated to a Benefactress of Minchinhampton.
Installed by William Playne in 1806. North side: segmental arched
fenestration as to south side, later additions not of special
interest. Attached outbuilding range has segmental arched
doorway in north gable end, lunette window above. Interior not
inspected. Built after completion of a large dam, creating
Gatcombe Water and placed out of the direct line of flow, should
the dam burst.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Minchinhampton' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 184-
207; A.T. Playne, Minchinhampton and Avening, 1915; and J. Tann,
Gloucestershire Woollen Mills, 1967)


Listing NGR: ST8673499203

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.