History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Valley Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Chalford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7211 / 51°43'15"N

Longitude: -2.1404 / 2°8'25"W

OS Eastings: 390396

OS Northings: 202492

OS Grid: SO903024

Mapcode National: GBR 1N1.5N1

Mapcode Global: VH955.V09G

Entry Name: The Old Valley Inn

Listing Date: 28 June 1960

Last Amended: 24 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091165

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132894

Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Chalford

Built-Up Area: Chalford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Chalford Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chalford

Listing Text


SO 9002-9102 CHALFORD VALLEY CORNER

14/100 The Old Valley Inn
(previously listed as Valley Inn
in Minchinhampton CP)
28.6.60
II

Former mill owner's house, now detached house. Late C17; early
Cl9 addition. Coursed and random rubble limestone; artificial
stone rebuilt chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey with cellar
and attic; wing to rear forms L-plan. South east front: 2 full
gables. Fenestration grouped 2:1:2 on upper floor, originally all
2-light chamfered mullioned casements with continuous hoodmoulds,
partly replaced in mid C20 by timber casements to left with plain
stone lintels, part of hoodmould removed. Central doorway with
slightly cambered pointed arch. Two-light attic casements in each
gable with blocked oval windows above, all with hoods. Rebuilt
gable end chimneys. South west side: 2 blocked small single-light
windows in gable end. C20 inserted upper floor doorway with glazed
door and steel stairway. Rear: left full gable of earliest part
of house has single-window fenestration below, all 2-light with
hoodmoulds. Timber casement fenestration to rear wing with tall
canted bay window to north east gable end. Hipped roof to brick-
built porch in angle with front range.
Interior: between pairs of 2-light windows on ground floor is deep
slot, possibly associated with weaving process. Generally
interior much restored and altered, especially during use as public
house. Upon construction of nearby Thames and Severn Canal became
an inn, named Clothiers Arms by 1820 but known as Valley Inn by
1931. Originally the mill owner of Valley Mills residence.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40)


Listing NGR: SO9039602492

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.