History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mount

A Grade II Listed Building in Chalford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7213 / 51°43'16"N

Longitude: -2.1424 / 2°8'32"W

OS Eastings: 390257

OS Northings: 202515

OS Grid: SO902025

Mapcode National: GBR 1N1.54L

Mapcode Global: VH94Z.TZ7V

Entry Name: The Mount

Listing Date: 28 June 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091183

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132835

Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Chalford

Built-Up Area: Chalford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: France Lynch St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chalford

Listing Text


SO 9002-9102 CHALFORD HIGH STREET
(north side)

14/41 The Mount

28.6.60

GV II

House attached to end of row. Doorway dated 1684 for W S (Walter
Seville); various C18 and early Cl9 alterations and additions.
Coursed and random rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone and
Welsh slate, concrete tile and artificial stone slate roofs. Two-
storey with cellar and attic; various attached rear buildings form
small courtyard. Front: probably 3-window fenestration originally,
outer 3-light and central 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned
casements being retained on upper floor. Outer ground floor
tripartite sashes without glazing bars. Off-centre doorway with
stone lintel and 6-panel door. Continuous drip courses. Eaves-
level probably raised early C19. Addition to left with single-
window fenestration in plain raised surrounds - leaded upper floor
casement. Gable end chimneys with chamfered caps. Half gable of
later rear wing is recessed to right, with doorway having heavy
timber lintel and folding plank door having early ironmongery
including dated plate, this presumably moved, possibly from central
front doorway. East side: full gable end of front range to left
with single-light casements, one with stone lintels to late C18
wing to right. Rear: roughly central gabled bacon smoke-house
addition (blocking 2-light window) with eaves-level vents. Two 2-
storey rear wings enclose courtyard, one with further outbuilding
parallel to front range; pentice roof attached to ranges of
outbuildings. Walter Seville owned Seville's Mill for second half
of C17, this mill now demolished. Pair of contemporary gatepiers
to south west (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SO9025702515

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.