This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.753 / 51°45'10"N
Longitude: -2.2455 / 2°14'43"W
OS Eastings: 383146
OS Northings: 206064
OS Grid: SO831060
Mapcode National: GBR 1MJ.32G
Mapcode Global: VH94Y.167G
Entry Name: Humphries End House
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Last Amended: 24 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091197
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132769
Location: Randwick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Randwick and Westrip
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cainscross St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8206-8306 RANDWICK HUMPHRIES END
14/210 Humphries End House
(previously listed as
28.6.60 Humphries End)
Detached house. Early-mid Cl?; east wing rebuilt 1699 for W.B.
Random rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof.
Two-storey with attic; cross-wing to east end with cellar. East
end: main frontage of 1699 addition, 3-window fenestration, all 2-
light chamfered mullioned casements under combined hoodmould; 2
gabled attic dormers. North side: gable end of east range to
left with single-window fenestration, all recessed chamfered 2-
light casements with hoodmoulds. Blocked attic oval dated and
with initials. Earlier range runs to right, original cross-
passage doorway roughly central, now blocked but with hoodmould
rising over deep stone lintel, linking with 5-light casement to
right. Present doorway to left appears early C19 with segmental
timber porch hood and 4-panel door. Two upper floor timber
windows with leaded iron casements and timber lintels. Reset oval
to loft also leaded. Two gabled roof dormers with timber
casements. South side: gable end of east range to right,
projecting chimney stack having paired ashlar shafts and moulded
caps. Outshut in rear angle of this range, catslide roof to left
extended above single 2-light casement to each floor. Remainder
of range to left has mullioned fenestration, mostly restored.
Interior: original cross-passage removed. Main chimney to west
end has adjacent stone spiral staircase. Barn to east (q.v.).
(Illustrated in W.G. Davie and E.G. Dawber, Old Cottages... in the
Cotswold District, 1905; and N. M. Herbert, 'Stonehouse' in V.C.H.
Glos. x, 1972, pp. 267-289)
Listing NGR: SO8314606064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings