This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7699 / 51°46'11"N
Longitude: -2.1163 / 2°6'58"W
OS Eastings: 392072
OS Northings: 207917
OS Grid: SO920079
Mapcode National: GBR 1M9.ZR5
Mapcode Global: VH94T.8SK2
Entry Name: Througham Court
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091244
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132682
Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bisley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 90 NW
Large detached house. Early C17; early C18 extension to east;
C19 incorporation of former barn to north and addition of service
wing. Restored by Norman Jewson 1932. Random rubble limestone;
ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey with attic, L-plan.
Former barn and service wing form west-facing courtyard to north.
North and west sides: 2 parapet gables to C17 house on each of
these elevations, each with quatrefoil gable vent and cross roll
saddles. Parapet copings span rainwater outlet with stone chute
between each gable and at corners. Continuous string courses with
recessed cavetto mullioned casements positioned irregularly below
on north side, 2, 3 and 4-light casements to ground and upper
floor; 2-light in each gable with separate hoodmoulds. Two-light
casements below each gable on west side to upper floor and attic;
various single-light casements to ground and upper floor. Stone
rainwater downpipe on north side feeding water to stone tank.
Former north doorway now blocked, present doorway with plank door
in C18 addition to east. Two gables to west side of barn, each
with 7 rows of pigeon holes with perches. Loft doorway with timber
lintel and plank door to left gable with stone steps and projecting
nosing to landing. Parapet north gable end of barn extended and
linked to north service wing. Courtyard wall has gateway with
decorative wrought iron gate. South side: cross-gabled part of
Cl7 house projects forward to left with gable end chimney having
moulded cap. Continuous drip courses; various single-light
casements. Single-window fenestration below east-facing parapet
gable, 4-light to ground floor, 3-light to upper floor, 2-light
with separate hoodmould to attic. Main part of south elevation has
scattered 2-light casements, continuous drip course to ground floor
only. Plain chamfered opening to doorway. Two gabled roof
dormers. Two ridge-mounted chimneys with moulded caps. East side:
various single and 2-light casements to main gable end to left.
Two gables to barn with pigeon holes; C20 restored mullioned
Interior: main room has large fireplace with chamfered surround.
Ogee beam chamfer stops. Early cupboards in room above parlour.
Cellar contains former cockpit. Former barn has unusual Rococo
fireplace, presumably brought from elsewhere. Extended collar barn
roof. A very good example of the early C17 L-plan type of house,
together with the former barn forming a very picturesque courtyard.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; M.A.
Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; and D.
Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO9207207917
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings