History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage with Railings and Gate on East Side

A Grade II Listed Building in Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7526 / 51°45'9"N

Longitude: -2.1401 / 2°8'24"W

OS Eastings: 390424

OS Northings: 205994

OS Grid: SO904059

Mapcode National: GBR 1MN.5QC

Mapcode Global: VH94Z.V6GT

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage with Railings and Gate on East Side

Listing Date: 24 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091260

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132620

Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

Built-Up Area: Bisley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bisley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Bisley

Listing Text


SO 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT GEORGE STREET, Bisley Village
(south side)

13/64 The Old Vicarage with
railings and gate on east side

II

Former vicarage, now detached house. 1832 by Willam Franklin for
Thomas Keble. Ashlar limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate
roof. Gothic style. Two-storey; square plan with central stair
hall. West side: symmetrical, outer parts forming corner
pavilions with hipped roofs. Single-window fenestration to
projecting outer parts of elevation, mullioned casements with
Tudor-headed lights and hoodmoulds, 3-light to ground floor, 2-
light above. Central Tudor-arched moulded doorway with double
doors; 2-light above, both flanked by small Tudor-arched single-
light casements with hoodmoulds. South side: similar to west side
but with single-storey rectangular bay window to left projecting
part of elevation with coped top; Tudor-arched casements to
match. Two 2-light casements to central recessed part of
elevation. Two ridge-mounted chimney clusters, left with 2, right
with 3 diagonal set shafts having moulded caps. East side:
secondary asymmetrical elevation, right part projecting forward.
Doorway to left with flat stone porch hood on shaped brackets; 6-
panel door. Tall 2-light casement above. Attached length of
spear-topped iron railings have urn finials to principal posts;
matching iron gate. Interior not inspected. A large and imposing
essay in the early Gothic revival, the chimneys adding particularly
well to the townscape around the churchyard.


Listing NGR: SO9042405994

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.