This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7531 / 51°45'11"N
Longitude: -2.1417 / 2°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 390315
OS Northings: 206054
OS Grid: SO903060
Mapcode National: GBR 1MN.5B3
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.T6MD
Entry Name: The Bear Inn
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091261
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132621
Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt
Built-Up Area: Bisley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bisley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 9006 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT GEORGE STREET, Bisley Village
13/65 The Bear Inn
Formerly courthouse and assembly room, now inn. Early C17; early
C18 east end; early C19 additions. Random rubble and ashlar
limestone; ashlar and artificial stone chimneys; stone slate
roof. Two-storey with attic main east-west range; cross wing to
east end; 2 gabled additions to north side. East front: 4-bay
colonnade to ground floor, open except for one bay to right.
Ashlar columns have simple moulded capitals supporting timber
lintel. Horizontally sliding sashes with glazing bars to wall
behind colonnade, doorway to right part having C17 moulded frame
and plank door. Three 18-pane upper floor sashes with moulded
stone architraves. Single off-centre gabled roof dormer with lead-
latticed casement. Roof hipped on north east corner only. North
side: large gabled projection is C19, reset doorway having ogee-
arched stone lintel and plank door. Three-light chamfered
mullioned casement above; plain chamfered cap to gable-mounted
chimney. Earlier gable wing adjoins immediately to left with
single 2-light chamfered mullioned casement to each floor, that to
attic now blocked. Chamfered cap to off-centre gable-mounted
chimney. Blocked doorway above ground level to small gabled
projection to left, this possibly originally forming a stair
turret. Single-storey outbuilding attached at west end. South
side: part gabled in ashlar with cross window to ground floor, 2-
light chamfered mullioned attic casement to upper floor and attic,
all with hoodmoulds. Gable end of east cross wing projects forward
Interior: 2 very large fireplaces with monolithic stone slab jambs
and timber lintels. The manor court is recorded as meeting at The
Bear between 1766 and 1838, the village lock-up (q.v.) being
conveniently situated on opposite side of road.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos xi, 1976, pp 4-40; and M.A.
Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937)
Listing NGR: SO9031506054
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings