History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory Farmhouse and Rectory Cottage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bisley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7512 / 51°45'4"N

Longitude: -2.1394 / 2°8'21"W

OS Eastings: 390473

OS Northings: 205846

OS Grid: SO904058

Mapcode National: GBR 1MN.5XB

Mapcode Global: VH94Z.V7VV

Entry Name: Rectory Farmhouse and Rectory Cottage

Listing Date: 28 June 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091270

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132647

Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

Built-Up Area: Bisley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bisley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Bisley

Listing Text


SO 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT HOLLOWAY ROAD, Bisley Village
(east side)

13/88 Rectory Farmhouse and
Rectory Cottage

28.6.60

GV II*

Large house with small attached house. Late C17 small house; main
house c1740. Ashlar and random rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys;
stone slate roof. Main part 2-storey with cellar, attic to rear
wing; small 2-storey house attached to north end also with rear
wing. Front: fine ashlar facade to Rectory Farmhouse with 4-
window fenestration of uneven spacing. Three-centred arched 4-pane
sashes to ground floor with plain keyed architraves, keystones
linking with moulded string course above. Square-headed 4-pane
sashes above, with bull-nosed sills, keystones extended over
moulded stone eaves coving. Three-centred arched doorway in wider
space between 2 left sashes has segmental pediment porch on shaped
brackets; multi-panel fielded door. Corner pilasters at each end
of facade with echo in moulded eaves. Hipped roof. Rectory
Cottage to left has 3-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement
with hoodmould to each floor; further C20 altered fenestration to
left. Ridge-mounted chimney with chamfered cap. South end:
moulded eaves coving continued above rubble masonry; 12-pane sash
in plain opening to each floor to right. Tall double-shafted
eaves-mounted chimney with linking cavetto cap. Rear: mixed sash
and mullioned fenestration. Gabled wing to rear of Rectory Cottage
has projecting chimney stack and inserted mullioned fenestration.
Interior of Rectory Farmhouse: fine panelled main room with fluted
pilasters dividing up bays of fielded panels. Niche with shell
hood to right of fireplace. C18 staircase has 2 turned balusters
per tread, ramped handrails and bracketted open strings. Regency
cornice and oval arch in kitchen. Tie beam in roof has crudely
carved date 1744. Interior of Rectory Cottage not inspected.


Listing NGR: SO9047305846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.