This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7515 / 51°45'5"N
Longitude: -2.1675 / 2°10'2"W
OS Eastings: 388536
OS Northings: 205876
OS Grid: SO885058
Mapcode National: GBR 1MM.4V1
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.D70N
Entry Name: Granary Approximately 30 Metres North West of the Mansion
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091274
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132656
Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stroud St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 80 NE BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT LYPIATT PARK
4/97 Granary approximately 30m north west
of the Mansion
Former granary, now guest house and studio. C13. Dressed coursed
and squared limestone; stone slate roof. Rectangular with low
undercroft. Parapet gabled ends, north with fine 2-light Early
English window below gabled hood with trefoil apex recess. Off-
centre trefoil headed light below. Low diagonal corner buttresses
interrupt boldly projecting anti-rat course. Below this a canted
recess with ox's head grain outlet. Two trefoil-headed lights to
south end; 2 undercroft openings below combining relieving arch.
Off-centre pointed arched doorway with hoodmould on east side set
immediately to right of central buttress; flight of stone steps
with dog kennel recess beneath. Undercroft doorway on west side.
Interior: altered to form guest house, retaining original granary
floor position. A very early granary illustrating the importance
of this building type in the medieval period.
(Illustrated in Country Life article, 1st December 1900 and M.A.
Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937. N.M.
Herbert, 'Stroud' in V.C.H. Glos xi, 1976, pp 99-145; and D.
Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8853505875
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings