This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7515 / 51°45'5"N
Longitude: -2.1418 / 2°8'30"W
OS Eastings: 390305
OS Northings: 205871
OS Grid: SO903058
Mapcode National: GBR 1MN.59L
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.T7KP
Entry Name: Jayne's Court
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132563
Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt
Built-Up Area: Bisley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bisley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT BACK LANE, Bisley Village
13/8 Jayne's Court
Large detached house. c1715 incorporating earlier fragments;
early C19 additions. Ashlar and random rubble limestone; ashlar
chimneys; plain tile and stone slate roofs. Two-storey with
attic; double depth plan with 2-storey north west service wing.
East front: 5-window fenestration, all 18-pane sashes with keyed
moulded architraves and bullnosed sills; ground floor keystones
link with upper floor level moulded string course, upper floor
keystones running into moulded and coved eaves. Chamfered
alternating quoins. Very low central doorway with keyed
architrave, pilasters with moulded caps and double 3-panel fielded
doors. Sprocketed roof hipped at south end, gabled to north with
tall chimney having entablature top and central pilaster to each
face. Two gabled roof dormers. Single sash window fenestration to
lower 2-storey extension to front to right. South side:
originally with 5-window sash fenestration, reduced to 3 upon
addition of large 2-storey round-fronted bay with 3 curved 12-pane
sashes in plain openings to each floor; glazed doors centrally to
ground floor. Architraves, keystones, eaves and quoins as to east
front. Ridge-mounted chimney with pilasters; 2 gabled roof
dormers. West side: right part is return wing of c1715 house with
projecting chimneystack; single 18-pane sash to each floor to
right; further chimneystack to north gable end of return wing.
Remainder of this side appears reconstruction of earlier house with
late C18 or early C19 sash fenestration. Service wing projects
forward to left, apparently of 2 periods, with large tripartite
sash and round arched doorway. On north side of service wing upper
floor level glazed gallery links with north end of east range.
Interior: original staircase removed from east range and
reconstructed in newly-formed stair hall. One room in south west
corner has Adam style fireplace with attached Ionic columns. Built
on site of the medieval Nether Manor house. Unusual cockpit with
dovecote stands in yard to south west (q.v.).
(N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; M.A.
Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; and D.
Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO9030505871
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings