This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7926 / 51°47'33"N
Longitude: -2.2723 / 2°16'20"W
OS Eastings: 381315
OS Northings: 210468
OS Grid: SO813104
Mapcode National: GBR 0KL.GBX
Mapcode Global: VH94Q.K6LN
Entry Name: Round House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Last Amended: 9 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132472
Location: Haresfield, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: Haresfield
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Haresfield St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
HARESFIELD HARESFIELD VILLAGE
SO 81 SW
4/213 Round House Farmhouse
Farmhouse, unoccupied at time of survey (January 1986). Formerly
probably a hall house of c1500, enlarged to south east possibly in
1688 by John Rogers. Timber-framed on stone plinth with partially
replaced sill beam on close studded west side, roughcast faced to
front and tile hung on right hand return. Steep hipped roof,
mostly of stone slate with tiles on inner face of rear wing and on
C19 lean-to in angle at rear. Inserted brick lateral stack
probably of C19 on left hand return to front; stack for large
stone chimney to rear of south east wing removed but ashlar base
forms part of right hand return wall and has carved sundial near
the eaves. Probably originally a 2-room hall house with jettied
solar end to rear (north), but little evidence within of possible
inserted stack and roof timbers may have been replaced in C17.
Additional room to south east with large timber bressumer fireplace
with stone cheeks and newel stair still partially remaining added
probably in C17, to form L-shape, with C19 lean-to in angle. Two
storeys and attic. Front faced in roughcast with decorative tile
"string course". Stone sundial in centre over C19 gabled porch
with decorative barge boards. Two 3-light wood casements to each
floor, possibly of C18. Steep C19 gabled dormer to right. Left
hand return has rendered infill to close studding and downward
curving braces. Rear first floor jetty beam and brackets replaced
in concrete in 1950s.
Interior retains chamfered and stopped beams on both floors.
(VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)
Listing NGR: SO8131510468
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings