This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8994 / 51°53'57"N
Longitude: -2.2684 / 2°16'6"W
OS Eastings: 381625
OS Northings: 222353
OS Grid: SO816223
Mapcode National: GBR 0J7.WVC
Mapcode Global: VH944.MJM8
Entry Name: Maisemore Park
Listing Date: 26 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134373
Location: Maisemore, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2
Civil Parish: Maisemore
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Maisemore St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
MAISEMORE THE RUDGE
SO 82 SW
4/79 Maisemore Park
House. Circa 1825, servants' wing mid C19, altered early C20.
Smooth render, lined as ashlar, servants' wing Flemish bond
brickwork, slate roof. House 4 x 5, single bay wing, 3-bay
servants' wing, 2 storeys. Entrance front: projecting wing on
left, canted bay, 2-pane sashes. Single-storey porch in angle, 2
unfluted Ionic columns in antis, Doric pilasters each side, moulded
cornice, balustrade over in 3 sections: flat roof. Internally 6-
panel door, all fielded, lined as double doors, side lights,
single-pane rectangular fanlight over, single-pane windows each
side. Set back on right plinth, two 9 pane windows. First floor
plain string course at window sill level, bay on left as below, 2
sash windows on set-back wall, one over porch. Moulded cornice,
plain parapet and capping hiding hipped roof. Rendered chimney
left return and from eaves to right of porch. Right return
plinth, 4-window section with wide, plain pilasters each end; four
15-pane sashes, larger lower sash, marginal lights to sides;
slightly set back on right paired French doors up 2 steps, similar
pilaster at corner. Plain string course at window sill level
over; paired Doric pilasters over plain below, 4 sash windows main
section, one beyond. Cornice and parapet as front, chimney on
line of set back.
Interior: glazed screen to hall; dado rail, oak fireplace with
fluted Ionic columns, pulvinated frieze; pilasters with heavy
consoles to ceiling beams, moulded cornice: 6-panel doors. Open
well in centre ceiling with 2 stage balustrade, main balusters
square below, turned above, splat balusters between up to mid rail.
Dogleg stairs with similar balusters, moulded handrail, square
newels. Parquet floor to double room on right: Adam style
cornice. End room dado rail, moulded cornice, panelled shutters
to bay, mahogany fireplace with paired Ionic columns, green-marble
lining. Office on left Ionic columns to wooden fireplace
surround, egg and dart frieze. Painted decorative glass to stair
window. Porch and fireplaces added soon after 1901, left wing
raised and bay added: well to hall and stairs probably mid C19.
Wrought-iron verandah with swept roof to entrance front and right
return originally, since removed (1901 photograph at house; sale
catalogue at Gloucs. Record Office).
Listing NGR: SO8162522353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings