History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald Tower

A Grade II* Listed Building in Highnam, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8887 / 51°53'19"N

Longitude: -2.2978 / 2°17'52"W

OS Eastings: 379601

OS Northings: 221170

OS Grid: SO796211

Mapcode National: GBR 0JD.FXB

Mapcode Global: VH944.4S3H

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald Tower

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091372

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134348

Location: Highnam, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Highnam

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Highnam Holy Innocents

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Maisemore

Listing Text

HIGHNAM LASSINGTON
SO 72 SE
3/57 Church of St. Oswald: tower
10-1-55
GV II*
Tower to former parish church, now property of Redundant Churches
Fund. Late C11, C14 top, east wall partly 1976 for R.C.F.
Squared, coursed lias rubble, with quoins approaching ashlar: stone
slate roof. Square tower. Tower in 3 stages, narrowing slightly
at each: battered, rough plinth. South face: plain lowest stage,
semi-circular headed lancet to second, head single block, slightly
projecting stone above, possibly originally carved. Third stage
wider lancet, single-stone head, ogee with trefoil below, stone
louvres. Pyramid roof, iron cross to apex. West face narrow,
semi-circular headed lancet to lowest stage, second plain, third as
south. North face opening only in top stage, as on south side.
East face partly renewed 1975-6, with new semi-circular headed
doorway at foot, with late C19 boarded door with decorative
ironmongery. No offset to first stage, only second, opening to top
stage as other faces. Church re-dedicated on Palm Sunday, 1095.
Nave and chancel heavily restored 1875 by Medland and Son,
demolished 1975.
(Notice on church; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the
Forest of Dean, 1970)


Listing NGR: SO7960121170

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.