History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wigwood Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Tirley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9613 / 51°57'40"N

Longitude: -2.2288 / 2°13'43"W

OS Eastings: 384373

OS Northings: 229225

OS Grid: SO843292

Mapcode National: GBR 1JV.TL1

Mapcode Global: VH93S.BY2V

Entry Name: Wigwood Farm

Listing Date: 12 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091381

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134264

Location: Tirley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tirley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tirley St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hasfield

Listing Text

TIRLEY -
SO 82 NW
3/144 Wigwood Farm

II

Detached farmhouse. C14, date and initials THE 1730 at apex of
gable end of C18-extension, C19. Brick, moulded slag blocks, blue
lias, red tile and slate roof, brick stacks. Plan (viewed from
garden). Two parallel C19 blocks with sawtooth decoration at eaves
forming main body. Part of right-hand wall and rear wall blue lias
but largely obscured by blue lias extension, possibly C14, altered
C19 when brick and moulded slag blocks added at right gable end.
C19 lean-to behind with reused 2-light stone-mullioned window in
right-hand wall. Brick wing dated 1730 set back left of and at
right-angles to main body. Main body: 2 1/2 storeys, ground and
first floors lit by 4-pane sashes with horns. Two-light casements
with segmental heads-lighting attic. Stone-mullioned windows with
hoods lighting ground and first floor at rear. Early plank door
with beaded mouldings, early thumb latch and decorative hinges in
left-hand wall. Single storey wing right with upper part of flat-
chamfered pointed arch infilled with glazing and an early plank
door. Two C20, two-light steel casements in gable end. Block
dated 1730 on left, 2½ storeys, formerly lit by segmental-headed
sash windows (now blocked). C20 plate glass sashes in left gable
end. Three brick bands across gable end.
Interior: flat-chamfered archway wider than that visible in front
wall, obscured by C14/19 block. Cut tie beams jut out for a short
distance into C14/19 block. Round-headed flat-chamfered door or
window (now blocked) high up in same wall. Early wooden spiral
staircase from C14/19 block to first floor of main body. C17
panelled room. (V.C.H. Glos Vol.8).


Listing NGR: SO8437329225

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.