This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9652 / 51°57'54"N
Longitude: -2.2432 / 2°14'35"W
OS Eastings: 383387
OS Northings: 229658
OS Grid: SO833296
Mapcode National: GBR 1JT.PPV
Mapcode Global: VH93S.2VGW
Entry Name: Great Sandpits
Listing Date: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134257
Location: Tirley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19
Civil Parish: Tirley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tirley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 82 NW
3/137 Great Sandpits
Detached house. Mid C17, early C18 and C19. Red brick, blue lias,
red tile roof, brick stacks. L-shaped main body with limestone
quoins, wing rear right largely rebuilt C19. C18-C19 extension set
back right of main body. Two storey, 3-windowed facade lit by 3
and 4-light ovolo-moulded stone- mullioned windows, some with
transoms. Early studded plank door off-centre right with
decorative strap hinges within stone Tudor-arched surround with
foliate spandrels, within C20 latticework porch. Window left of
door blocked. Partly blocked window right of porch, brick
inscribed George Smith July 19th 1774 within blocking, ovolo-
moulded stone-mullioned window set lower down partly with blocking.
String between ground and first floor windows. Stone ovolo-moulded
cross window with leaded panes lighting ground floor at left gable
end. Four-light stone-mullioned window with transom windows above.
Two-storey extension right of main body lit by C20 two-light
casements, band between ground and first floors.
Interior of front left-hand room: tie beams with bar stops.
Plasterwork between tie beams with simple combed decoration at
margins and fleur-de-lys decoration at each corner, one fleur-de-
lys restored C20 (q.v. plasterwork ceiling at The Great house,
Hasfield). Open fireplace with small range and chimney crane.
House owned by William Hurdman in 1658 (q.v. monument in nave of
church). (V.C.H. Glos., VOL.8).
Listing NGR: SO8338729658
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings