History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument to Members of the Maddy Family in the Churchyard of the Church of the Church of St Mary, Circa 11 Metres East of Chancel

A Grade II Listed Building in Down Hatherley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9007 / 51°54'2"N

Longitude: -2.1939 / 2°11'37"W

OS Eastings: 386756

OS Northings: 222479

OS Grid: SO867224

Mapcode National: GBR 1KN.XTX

Mapcode Global: VH945.XHK8

Entry Name: Monument to Members of the Maddy Family in the Churchyard of the Church of the Church of St Mary, Circa 11 Metres East of Chancel

Listing Date: 12 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091460

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134142

Location: Down Hatherley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Down Hatherley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Down Hatherley St Mary and Corpus Christi

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Maisemore

Listing Text

SO 82 SE DOWN HATHERLEY DOWN HATHERLEY VILLAGE

6/22 Monument to members of the Maddy
family in the churchyard of the
Church of St. Mary, cllm east of
chancel

GV II


Chest tomb to members of the Maddy family, including Sir Matthew
Wood, Baronet, died 1893 and Dame Maria Wood, died 1898.
Limestone, formerly with cast iron railing. Sides comprise 3
panels decorated with blind quatrefoils with cusped decoration,
raised shield at the centre of each, some with a brass memorial
plaque. Similar decoration at either end. Divisions between
panels resemble miniature clamp buttresses. Capping with moulded
margin and square flower decoration. Church was rebuilt by the
Wood family c1860.


Listing NGR: SO8675622479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.