History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

William La Zouche Monument Circa 5 Metres South of South Corner of Forthampton Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Forthampton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9842 / 51°59'2"N

Longitude: -2.1907 / 2°11'26"W

OS Eastings: 386996

OS Northings: 231760

OS Grid: SO869317

Mapcode National: GBR 1JP.JYJ

Mapcode Global: VH93S.ZD69

Entry Name: William La Zouche Monument Circa 5 Metres South of South Corner of Forthampton Court

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Last Amended: 12 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091465

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134151

Location: Forthampton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Forthampton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Forthampton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Bushley

Listing Text

SO 83 SE FORTHAMPTON

2/31 William la Zouche monument c5m
south of south corner of
10.1.55
Forthampton Court (Formerly listed
as Mediaeval tomb in the grounds of
Forthampton Court)

GV II


Chest tomb probably of William la Zouche, Lord Zouche of Ashby,
died 1337. Limestone tomb on sandstone plinth. South-east side of
tomb divided into 5 panels with blind cusped decoration, raised
heraldic shields within central 3 panels, single rose at the centre
of flanking panels. Four carved stone bosses comprising angels
clutching shields below panels. Opposite face of tomb missing.
Thick capping with moulded margin. Effigy of recumbent knight
with sword and shield on capping. Grotesque beast heads at either
end probably not part of original tomb which is reputedly from the
demolished Lady Chapel of Tewkesbury Abbey and was probably brought
to the house by John Wakeman, last abbot of Tewkesbury. The tomb
stood in a meadow north east of the Court until c1880.


Listing NGR: SO8699631760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.