History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jacobean House

A Grade II Listed Building in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9523 / 51°57'8"N

Longitude: -1.9676 / 1°58'3"W

OS Eastings: 402323

OS Northings: 228197

OS Grid: SP023281

Mapcode National: GBR 3N1.FCZ

Mapcode Global: VHB1K.V657

Entry Name: Jacobean House

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091480

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134085

Location: Winchcombe, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Winchcombe

Built-Up Area: Winchcombe

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Winchcombe St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Winchcombe

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/08/2012


SP 0228
305/4/177
4.7.60


WINCHCOMBE
QUEEN'S SQUARE (west side)
Jacobean House


GV
II


School, now a large detached house. 1618 and later. Squared and coursed limestone in varied course heights, stone slate double cross-gabled roof, coped and with small ball finials as diagonally set podia. Large ashlar stacks, upper sections rebuilt, on two back gables; two continuous moulded string courses, stepped over first floor windows. Three storeys, 2-windowed at second and ground floors, 3-windowed first floor, all stone hollow chamfer mullioned 2-light, with transomes at first floor, and 3-light ground floor, leaded glazing. Crude Jacobean portico with slender columns on high podia, up 2 steps to plank door in arched opening with keystones, classical entablature broken forward over columns. At back, centrally, double flight of stone steps to door in slightly pointed head under raised dais forming part of continuous string. The property is placed so as to form one side of this loosely formed square, and is in a very important position visually. It was built as a school by john Barksdale and opened as The King's School in 1618 (Donaldson, D N A Portrait of Winchcombe, 1978) 115-116.

Listing NGR: SP0232028197

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.