History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Gretton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9716 / 51°58'17"N

Longitude: -1.9855 / 1°59'7"W

OS Eastings: 401091

OS Northings: 230345

OS Grid: SP010303

Mapcode National: GBR 2LH.8V4

Mapcode Global: VHB1C.JPPY

Entry Name: War Memorial

Listing Date: 31 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091490

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134105

Location: Gretton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Gretton

Built-Up Area: Gretton (Tewkesbury)

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Winchcombe St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Gretton

Listing Text

SP 03 SW WINCHCOMBE THE STREET, GRETTON
(south side)
1/197
War Memorial
-
- II

Fountain, modified to become memorial. 1883 and 1918. Limestone, enclosing
walls replaced in artificial stone, and paving plain concrete slab. A quad-
rilobed fountain with stubby quadrilobe column base to stiff leaf and ball
flower caps set in basin with round edge top and cavetto base; this later
capped by square obelisk brought to square plinth with high relief moulded
decoration. The whole set on concrete octagonal base, and in enclosure
walled with artificial stone, faced at street two rock-faced stone piers
to cross gabled round-headed caps and chamfered case: the cap stones also
repeated in six other points round top of wall. Enclosure formerly railed.
Set in back wall a rectangular stone panel with inscription: This fountain
was/erected in December 1883/by/Col The Honourable/E Lc W Forester/for/the
benefit of the/poor of Gretton. The obelisk also bears the names of those
in the parish who fell in the Great War.


Listing NGR: SP0109130345

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.