History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Orchards

A Grade II Listed Building in Gretton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9694 / 51°58'9"N

Longitude: -1.9881 / 1°59'17"W

OS Eastings: 400914

OS Northings: 230104

OS Grid: SP009301

Mapcode National: GBR 2LH.G62

Mapcode Global: VHB1C.HRBM

Entry Name: The Orchards

Listing Date: 31 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091533

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134002

Location: Gretton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Gretton

Built-Up Area: Gretton (Tewkesbury)

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Winchcombe St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Gretton

Listing Text

SP 02 SW WINCHCOMBE GOPSHILL LANE, GRETTON
(east side)
1/104

- The Orchards

- II

Farmhouse, now dwelling. C16 and C17 with extensive C20 additions. Squared
rubble, rubble, and box timber-framing; stone slate roofs. A complex L-plan
structure in at least 3 sections, the oldest that to the right, with
substantial remains of framing, same at rear exposed and a deep wing, left
back, with late C20 additions. Left section 2 storeys and right 1½ storeys
with varied fenestration including one 2-light and four 2-light at varying
levels, but window omitted at bay 3 to first floor, these reserved chamfered
mullion casements without drips, two small 2-light leaded casement dormers,
and at ground floor a 5-light replacement window, C20 glazed door under
deep stone lintel with inscription'W H 1776'. Right gable half-hip return
in timber frame on rubble plinth, tie beam on haunched posts, one 3-light
and small 2-light windows. Back has long low unit with timber framing and
stone, 3 dormers, and four 2-light casements, right of this higher section
with 2 dormers over 2-light reserved chamfer mullion casement, and to right
up 3 steps fine 4-centre doorway with one date of 1647 and second date
'J T 1778' on panel above; late C20 glazed door. This section in good cut
limestone. New wing on return. Interior includes heavy stopped chamfered
beams and stopped chamfer joists, one original open bressummer fireplace
at gable, and one restructured fine centrally. Building also reputed to
have been 'The Drunken Duck' Inn at some period.


Listing NGR: SP0091430104

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.