History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9525 / 51°57'8"N

Longitude: -1.9686 / 1°58'7"W

OS Eastings: 402252

OS Northings: 228221

OS Grid: SP022282

Mapcode National: GBR 3N1.F46

Mapcode Global: VHB1K.T6M2

Entry Name: School House

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091549

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133942

Location: Winchcombe, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Winchcombe

Built-Up Area: Winchcombe

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Winchcombe St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Winchcombe

Listing Text

SP 02 28 WINCHCOMBE GLOUCESTER STREET
(north side)
4/44
School House
4.7.60

GV II

House. Patron John Dent of Sudeley Castle. 1867. Squared and coursed lime-
stone, some dressings in pink stone, stone slate roof with coped gables.
L-plan with one gable to street. One storey and attic, various 2 or 3-light
casements with horizontal bars in chamfered mullions; to street is one storey
hexagonal bay with hipped stone capping. Buttressed porch in internal angle,
pointed arch containing plank door with strap hinges. On return wall, left
commemorative panel recording this as Church School built and endowed by
John Dent, opened 1868. Also, left of this panel a 'nodding ogee' tabernacle
on oriel bracket with figure of Christ, and inscription 'Suffer the little
children to come unto me'. Original castellated cast-iron rainwater-heads.
This is a well ordered and maintained Victorian structure in the Cotswold
tradition, forming a seemly introduction to the whole street. It was built
as the head teacher's house to the adjacent school (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SP0225228220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.