History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Painswick, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.786 / 51°47'9"N

Longitude: -2.1946 / 2°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 386673

OS Northings: 209724

OS Grid: SO866097

Mapcode National: GBR 1M0.XNJ

Mapcode Global: VH94R.XC5P

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091564

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133544

Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Painswick

Built-Up Area: Painswick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Painswick

Listing Text

PAINSWICK VICTORIA STREET
SO 8609 (part)
(north side)
8/347 Town Hall
GV II

Town Hall. Dated 1840 in panel to gable; in good limestone ashlar with plain
tile roof. In C19 Tudor style. Set gable to street, and stands forward from
adjoining building to right. Saddle-back coped gable to double stepped kneelers
over a quatrefoil commemorative panel. Below this 5-light hollow chamfer case-
ments with pointed heads to lights and with square stopped hood at ground and
first floors above a moulded offset plinth. To the right a single storey lean-
to with plank door in moulded surround at head of 4 steps; behind this a swept-
down extension with prominent stack having 2 separated flues set diagonally and
capped. Interior: simple work in original detail. The building replaced an
earlier town hall, opposite, which was demolished in 1840. From 1844 to 1867 an
upper room in the new building, then known as Stock House, was an Endowed
School.


Listing NGR: SO8668209723

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.