History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brownshill Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Painswick, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7641 / 51°45'50"N

Longitude: -2.2099 / 2°12'35"W

OS Eastings: 385611

OS Northings: 207289

OS Grid: SO856072

Mapcode National: GBR 1MD.646

Mapcode Global: VH94R.NX2J

Entry Name: Brownshill Court

Listing Date: 21 October 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091567

English Heritage Legacy ID: 133552

Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Painswick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Pitchcombe St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Stroud

Listing Text

PAINSWICK WICK STREET
SO 80 NE
(west side)
5/356 Brownshill Court
21.10.55
II*
Large country house, now several apartments. Mostly c.1777 for William
Caruthers, but the west front is probably early to mid C18. Fine limestone
ashlar with stone slate roofs, but Welsh slate to small link units. A grand
Palladian composition with pedimented corps-de-logis linked to pedimented
pavilions by straight wings. Main (east) front is 3 storeys, 5 bays, all
glazing bar sashes, but central Venetian window at piano nobile, and lofty
arched-head lights flanking doorway which has C20 glazed door in an Ionic
pedimented portico. Plinth, sill band, rusticated quoins, modillion cornice and
blocking course, four giant Corinthian pilasters. Hipped roof with 4 ashlar
stacks with moulded cappings and smaller stacks to pavilions. Fully rusticated
end pavilions are linked to main block by straight wings with Doric pilasters;
pavilions one bay l½ storeys with oculus in decorative surround above pair of
C20 glazed doors with 3 heavy key-stones. In the wings a central arched doorway
is flanked by arched casements; left-hand door is studded plank. There is an
extra bay to the extreme right. The back is in 3 storeys and basement but with
6 bays, all early C18 twelve-pane sashes in Gibbs surrounds to small key-stone
and with butt-nosed sills; central ground floor may originally have been a door-
way. To the basement are 5 elliptical-arched openings to 3 key-stones, and with
iron bars. Interior: late C18 oak stair in central hall, swept handrails, 3
slender turned balusters to each tread; climbs in long flight to cross landing
then divides left and right to top 2 floors. Glazed circular roof-light towards
back of block. At ground floor a triple pillared opening with central ellipse,
carrying the cross landing. There are many good fielded panel doors, and most
windows have shutters. Various simple cross or transverse beams. First floor
back rooms have C18 fire surrounds, one of these eared and moulded with high
gabled overmantel with cherub in relief; at the opposite end is a more complex
surround with moulded mantel but without overmantel; rich pierced cable mould
and egg-and-dart enrichments. There are changes of level suggesting that back
and front have been stitched together; at the time of survey the attic floor was
unoccupied. The wing to the left has plain, heavy, close-set C19 beams.


Listing NGR: SO8561107289

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.