History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Havant, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7955 / 50°47'43"N

Longitude: -0.9769 / 0°58'36"W

OS Eastings: 472201

OS Northings: 100045

OS Grid: SU722000

Mapcode National: GBR BDF.5TH

Mapcode Global: FRA 86VZ.M7K

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 16 May 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135340

Location: Havant, Hampshire, PO11

County: Hampshire

District: Havant

Town: Havant

Electoral Ward/Division: Hayling West

Built-Up Area: South Hayling

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Hayling South St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Hayling Island

Listing Text

SU 70 SW HAVANT CHURCH ROAD,
Hayling Island
16.5.52
7/33 CHURCH OF ST MARY

II*

Parish church. C13, restoration 1869 by Street (of the nave) and 1892 by Blomfield.
Nave and aisles of 4 bays with the tower above the east bay (no transepts) chancel,
north vestry, and south porch. The interior arcade (with cusped circular
small clerestory lights above the columns) has been restored, but the tower
supports (½ octagonal columns set against a square core) and the rest of the
interior is C13, the notable features being the tall lancets (5 at the east end)
of the chancel. There is a double-arched piscina and the part-remains of an
old Purbeck font. Externally, the C13 effect is complete, with steep tile
roofing, stepped buttresses, lancets, a C19 Perpendicular west window, and a
plain C13 west door. There are north and south doors, the latter with a large
(partly medieval) timber porch. The central tower has 2 stages with lancets,
and has a shingled broach spire. Walls are of stone rubble with stone
dressings.


Listing NGR: SU6930305647

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.