History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Greenway Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Badgeworth, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8589 / 51°51'32"N

Longitude: -2.1178 / 2°7'3"W

OS Eastings: 391985

OS Northings: 217822

OS Grid: SO919178

Mapcode National: GBR 1LB.KD6

Mapcode Global: VH94F.7JSS

Entry Name: The Greenway Hotel

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091717

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135081

Location: Badgeworth, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL51

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Badgeworth

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Great Witcombe St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Little Witcombe

Listing Text

SHURDINGTON A46
SO 91 NW (east side)

4/130 The Greenway Hotel

4.7.60

II

Large house now used as a hotel, formerly known as Shurdington
House/Manor. Built early C17 by the Lawrence family, altered and
extended 1835 and 1865, restored and extended c1910 for Archdeacon
Sinclair by Ernest Newton. Pebble-dashed with exposed squared and
dressed stone quoins; stone slate roof with ashlar stacks. The
C17 house was 'H'-shaped in plan; C19 flat-roofed extension to the
former library on the south. Newton added projecting wings in the
same style as the main body to the east front accentuating the 'H'-
shaped plan and linked the main house to another C17 building to
the north. C17 ranges: 2 storeys and attic with cellar under the
principal range; C19 linking range 1½ storeys. Symmetrical
1:1:2:1:1 windowed entrance front main body. Gables project
forwards left and right with rectangular C19 three-light bay
windows to the ground floor; C19 four-light ovolo-moulded stone-
mullioned casements with transom above; 3-light ovolo-moulded
stone-mullioned casements with stopped hoods to each gable.
Central gable with single bays with 'gabled' parapets projecting
forwards slightly either side; wood-mullioned cross windows to the
ground floor; C19 ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows to the
first floor. Central C19 flat-roofed porch in front of the
central gable. Continuous dripmoulds over the ground and first
floor windows. Triple-gabled southern elevation lit by stone-
mullioned cross windows with 2-light stone-mullioned casements to
the gables. Early C20 triple-gabled eastern elevation with paired
stone-mullioned cross windows with king mullions to the ground
floor; 3-light casements with hoods to the gables. Plank door
within C19 moulded Tudor-arched surround to the central gable now
acting as the entrance to a C20 conservatory between the two
projecting gables. Most windows to main body have leaded panes.
Linking range on the north of the main body in similar style with
stone-mullioned casements. Twin-gabled west front to the formerly
separate C17 building which is lit by single-light and 2-light
stone-mullioned casements with stopped hoods; one 4-light ovolo-
moulded stone-mullioned casement. Early-leaded panes to the
casements lighting the gables. Lead rainwater goods with
rainwater heads dated and initialled 'W.L. 1816', some early
rainwater heads with oak leaf, 4-petal flower and lozenge motifs to
the subsidiary C17 building. Axial and lateral composite stacks
with moulded cappings. Saddleback coping and pointed finials,
some now lost to the main body. Stepped coping and roll-cross
saddles to the subsidiary C17 building. Octagonal standing for
late C18 cupola, removed c1970, behind the central gable on the
east. The cupola replaced a C17 square roof-top study.
Interior: mid C18 stone fireplace in the entrance hall with a
lugged surround with a gadrooned inner margin, swan-necked
'pediment' with foliage and grapes at the centre; moulded mantel
shelf; stone panels decorated with fruit and scallop shell motifs
below a broken triangular pediment. C18 style round-headed
archways with fluted pilasters. Early C20 staircase with turned
balusters and ball finials; shell-headed shelved alcove on quarter
landing. Early C20 panelling incorporating reused C17 carved
panels at the top within the former Drawing Room. Early C20
Tudor-arched fireplace with carved spandrels and C17 carved oak
overmantel with 3 round-headed alcoves with gadrooned arches and
Ionic capitals; carnation-like flowers on the columns, further
decoration in the form of lions' heads, grotesque human heads
and S-curve dragons.
(Engraving of c1712 by Kip in Atkyns, History of Gloucestershire;
Country Life, 19th July 1984 and D. Verey, The Buildings of
England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980 and W. G. Newton,
The Work of Ernest Newton R.A., 1925)


Listing NGR: SO9198517822

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.