History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Cowley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.829 / 51°49'44"N

Longitude: -2.0572 / 2°3'25"W

OS Eastings: 396154

OS Northings: 214485

OS Grid: SO961144

Mapcode National: GBR 2N4.8QH

Mapcode Global: VHB23.9997

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 22 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135038

Location: Cowley, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL53

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Cowley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cowley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cowley

Listing Text

COWLEY COWLEY VILLAGE
SO 9614

10/88 The Old Rectory

II

Former rectory now farmhouse. C18, enlarged 1797 by James
Comeline, repaired 1838. Coursed squared and dressed limestone
with dressed stone quoins; slate roof; yellow brick stacks and
ashlar stacks. 'T' shaped plan to main body with small
rectangular C18 cottage incorporated rear right. Two storeys and
attic. Three-bay entrance front with tripartite sashes to the
ground and first floors of the right-hand bay; 6-pane sash above.
Flat-roofed C19 porch in front of a central segmental-headed recess
reaching almost to eaves height; front door with 6 flush panels
within a round-headed surround with imposts at the front of the
porch; parapet with moulded cornice; sash windows with glazing
bars within the recess above the porch. Two-storey bow window to
the left-hand return with three 15-pane sashes to the ground floor
and three 12-pane sashes to the first floor; band above; sash
window to the second floor above the bow window. C18 cottage to
rear has irregular fenestration including a 2-light casement with
early leaded panes and a 12-pane sash. Hipped roof to the main
body. Axial and gable-end stacks.
Interior: C18 fireplace with stone surround and keystone within
the C18 cottage. Mid-late C19 staircase with heavy turned
balusters, ball finials and pendants; decorative brackets with
sunflower and wheat ear decoration; classical style white and
green marble fireplace with fluted decoration; coved cornice with
simple beaded moulding in the same room. Two round-headed alcoves
within the porch. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson otherwise known as
Lewis Carroll used to stay with Canon Liddel at the rectory where
he met the Canon's niece, Alice, on whom Alice in Wonderland was
based.
(V.C.H., Glos., Vol VII)


Listing NGR: SO9615414485

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.