This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8517 / 51°51'6"N
Longitude: -2.1593 / 2°9'33"W
OS Eastings: 389121
OS Northings: 217022
OS Grid: SO891170
Mapcode National: GBR 1L9.T1T
Mapcode Global: VH94D.JQ9C
Entry Name: Brockworth Court
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091764
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134991
Location: Brockworth, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL3
Civil Parish: Brockworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Brockworth St George
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 81 NE BROCKWORTH COURT ROAD
3/39 Brockworth Court
Large house built for Richard Hart, the last prior of Lanthony
1534-9, altered and extended C18 and C19. Random finely squared
and dressed limestone and close-studded timber framing. East side
of east wing encased in red brick; south facing gable incised
render. West wing red brick and ashlar. C19 linking passage red
brick with limestone dressings. Rebuilt range rear left with
dressed stone plinth, mostly C19 brick above, some earlier
brickwork visible on the west. Stone slate roof with brick stacks.
'L'-shaped C16 range with C18 range added on the south to form a
basically 'U'-shaped plan; further range acting as a store rear
left appears to have been clad in C19 brick, but retains an earlier
roof structure. C16 range: 2 storeys and attic. C18 range: 2
storeys. Storage range: 1½ storeys. North front of early range
from left to right: diagonal and side buttresses with offsets;
cross-mullioned window with stepped mouldings, cinquefoil-headed
light with moulded hood and carved stops; similar window, now
blocked, with a hood with scrolled stops and rosette decoration to
the right; small rectangular light to the right; studded plank
door within a rendered surround inserted within a high casement-
moulded 'Tudor-arched' surround; small window to the right of the
archway. Upper floor jettied out on a cove in two places: four 2-
light windows with Tudor-arched heads and wood mullions to the
first floor. Barge boarding with foliate decoration incorporating
quatrefoils and finial. South front: gable end C16 range projects
forwards right: canted C19 two-storey Neo-Tudor canted bay window
with stone mullions and transoms, Tudor-arched heads and carved
spandrels; battlemented parapet; 2-light casement above. Right-
hand return: 3-light segmental-headed casements with keystones to
the ground floor. C20 glazed double door within a rendered flat-
roofed Neo-Tudor porch with battlemented parapet and part-glazed
door at the front. C19 linking passage south across the front of
the C16 linking range, with a symmetrical 3-windowed Neo-Tudor
front: 3-light stone-mullioned windows with transoms and Tudor-
arched heads and carved spandrels to the ground floor; similar 2-
light casements above; 2-light trefoil-headed windows and gablet
over the door. Central C19 plank door within a Tudor-arched
surround with pointed lights either side; hall light and relieving
arch above. Ashlar dressings to the windows and gablet; flat-
chamfered string between the floors; battlemented parapet with
grotesques and gargoyles. C18 range projects forwards left;
tripartite sashes with segmental heads and keystones to the ground
and first floors. Cellar with access via plank door below the
right-hand return with two cellar windows with moulded jambs to the
left-hand return. Two 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned
casements to the first floor. Store: possibly originally timber-
framed but rebuilt in brick above the level of the plinth in C19.
East front: 2-lig-ht segmental-headed windows; 3 segmental-headed
plank doors. Two and 3-light casements with segmental and gauged
brick heads and two 2-light eaves dormers to the churchyard front.
Off-the-ridge gable-end and lateral stacks to the main body.
Interior: room within the east wing with a flat panelled ceiling
with moulded oak beams and carved bosses; narrow moulded wall
posts with three-sided bases and capitals; C19 fireplace with
keystone. Stone newel staircase probably formerly with access from
the room just described now visible in a small adjoining room;
beam with brattished decoration in the same room, possibly reused.
The stone newel staircase formerly led to an upper hall open to the
roof, but now ceiled in, with double purlins, two tiers of
windbrace-s and alternating arch-braced collar beam trusses with
curved struts and King post roof trusses. Plastered infill to the
central truss. Traces of wall painting on plasterwork infill to
truss in front of the chimney comprising the monogram 'Ihs'
(Christ) within a circular yellow border about 0.75m across; two
plants resembling pomegranates lower left and right; initials
'rhp' (Richard Hart Prior) above the monogram; Tudor rose upper
left within a circular border; initials 'Rh' upper right.
Priest's hole to the rear of the fireplace visible from the roof
space. The roof trusses to the range running east-west are also
alternate King post an arch-braced roof trusses although the
collar beams to the latter are cambered.
(D. Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of
Listing NGR: SO8911617028
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings