History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade I Listed Building in Brockworth, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8518 / 51°51'6"N

Longitude: -2.1598 / 2°9'35"W

OS Eastings: 389088

OS Northings: 217032

OS Grid: SO890170

Mapcode National: GBR 1L9.SXW

Mapcode Global: VH94D.JQ19

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091767

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134996

Location: Brockworth, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL3

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Brockworth

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Brockworth St George

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Brockworth

Listing Text

BROCKWORTH COURT ROAD
SO 81 NE
(west side)
3/44 Church of St George

10.1.55

GV I

Anglican parish church, consecrated 1142, rebuilt C14, altered and
restored c1847. Coursed squared and dressed limestone with an
ashlar tower. Nave with south porch, south transept and north
aisle. Tower at the junction of the nave and chancel. Vestry on
the north side of the tower. C20 prefabricated extension to the
vestry not of special interest. Projecting gabled porch probably
rebuilt C19 with diagonal buttresses and pointed entrance with a
double-chamfered pointed-arched head with a moulded hood and head
stops. Monument to Elizabeth, wife of Peter Herbert of Hucclecote
and other members of that family on the left-hand return of the
porch. South transept with a restored pointed 2-light window with
a moulded hood and carved head stops to the south facing gable.
Three-stage tower with C12 lower stages, upper stage rebuilt C19.
External buttressed stair turret with a studded plank door within a
flat-chamfered pointed-arched surround. Two-light window to the
right of the stair turret with reticulated tracery and moulded hood
with carved head stops; buttress with offsets to the right. Upper
stage: 2-light belfry windows with hoods with carved head stops and
battlemented parapet. The belfry windows are set within
rectangular recesses with corbelled decoration at the top. Chancel
with diagonal buttresses. Two 2-light pointed windows with hoods
with carved head stops flanking a small studded priest's door
within a moulded surround between the two windows. Three-light C14
east window with reticulated tracery and a hood with carved head
stops. Two-light pointed windows with quatrefoils on the north
side. Moulded eaves cornice. Lean-to vestry with plank door at
the'east end, within a pointed-arched surround with a hood with
head stops, now concealed by a C20 prefabricated extension.
Projecting stack flanked by C19 trefoil-headed lancets. North wall.
of the north aisle: two 2-light windows with hollow-moulded
mullions and surrounds with double cavetto and quirked mouldings
and quatrefoils flanking a studded plank north door with fillets
within a moulded surround matching that around the windows. Larger
2-light window with a quatrefoil within a deep flat-chamfered
surround far left. Stepped coping with roll-cross saddles.
Upright cross finial at the east end of the chancel.
Plastered interior: 4-bay nave with C19 queen post roof trusses
with curved bracing; wagon roof to the north aisle. Probably early
C16, flat panelled roof to the south transept with bosses and
frieze with vine scroll ornament in the south transept. Flat plank
ceiling to crossing. C19 wagon roof to chancel with a casement-
moulded wallplate with ballflower ornament. Four-bay C14 nave
arcade with octagonal piers and bases on square plinths and moulded
capitals with ballflower ornament and double-chamfered pointed
arches. Double-chamfered pointed arch to the south transept. C12
round-headed arch of three orders to the crossing with engaged
columns with scalloped capitals; chevron decoration to the outer
arches, roll-moulded inner arch. Plank door within a roll pointed
arch from the north wall of the crossing to the vestry. C12
chancel arch of two orders with chevron and roll mouldings rising
from massive circular piers with scalloped capitals with imposts
with inset corners. C19 wrought iron screen within the archway.
C14 column piscina with a moulded arched head in the south wall of
the chancel. Marble facing to the lower half of the walls within
the santuary; statues of St. George with a crocketed canopy to the
right of the altar, similar statue to the left. Piscina with a
flat-chamfered pointed head within the south transept. Flagged
floors to the nave and crossing, decorative encaustic tiling to the
chancel. C12 tub font inside the south door. C19 organ in the
crossing. Two C19 seventeenth century style chairs; C19 Neo-
Norman style wooden altar with three round-headed blind arches with
chevroned decoration: figure of Christ surrounded by cherubim and
seraphim painted on the central arch with the figures of two women
in the arches either side. Monuments on the nave south wall:
Baroque monument to John Jones, died 1747 and Sarah his wife, died
1776: lugged inscription panel, gadrooning across the bottom, egg
and tongue moulded at the top, pair of winged cherubs and heraldic
shield at the top. White and grey marble momument to the right to
John Jones of Coopers Hill, died 1793. White and grey marble
monument to John Jones of Coopers Hill, died 1828. Three C20
memorials below. White and grey monument to Elizabeth wife of
Henry Yates Jones of Droy's Court, died 1840 and other members of
that family. Monuments on the nave north wall: monument to William
Young, died 1762. Two early C20 on the east wall of the nave.
Monument in the north aisle to Susannah, wife of John Lawrence,
died 1724 and three children. Three heads representing the
deceased at the top, bolstered inscription panel with swags and
flowers and scrollwork either side. Four skulls at the base. Two
commandment boards, probably C18 in date, with inset segmental
heads within the crossing. Five C19 simple marble monuments in the
chancel. Fine marble monument to Christopher Guise, died 1670 with
inscription in Latin: bust of the deceased inset into wall
surrounded by fruit and foliage, heraldic shield, crowned swan and
cherubs at the top. Stained glass: C19 stained glass by Wailes in
the east window. C19 stained glass in the west window of the nave,
one window in the nave south wall, and one window in the north
aisle.
(D. Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of
Dean, 1980).


Listing NGR: SO8908417032

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.