History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corner Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Toddington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9955 / 51°59'43"N

Longitude: -1.95 / 1°57'0"W

OS Eastings: 403528

OS Northings: 233003

OS Grid: SP035330

Mapcode National: GBR 3MG.ZRP

Mapcode Global: VHB1D.43YL

Entry Name: Corner Cottage

Listing Date: 7 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091784

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134948

Location: Toddington, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Toddington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Toddington, Stanway and Didbrook and Hailes

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Toddington

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/02/2012


SP 03 SW
3/162


TODDINGTON
CHURCH LANE
(west side)
Corner Cottage & Nos 1-8 (consec),
The Square


(Formerly listed as Toddington Village Hall)

GV
II


Former stable block, now Village Hall and 9 houses. Circa 1800,
possibly by C. Beazley, for C. Hanbury-Tracy. Ashlar to north
face, well-squared, coursed stone to south, roughly squared to
sides, Welsh-slate roof. Seven-window front, 2-storeys, built
round 2 courtyards. North front, facing church: plinth. Central
archway, later infilled, boarded door up one stone step: above
string course extended across archway, 4-centred arch, with
circular window with hoodmould under: hoodmould to main arch;
wall over taken up above eaves with open pediment, blind circular
light with hoodmould in gable. To right 3 arched windows with
hoodmoulds to ground floor, left 2-light wooden Y tracery, others
blind. Above string course, 3 circular windows with hoodmoulds,
central one blind: moulded parapet above. To left of centre
originally similar, but left window glazed, centre one built up and
doorway cut slightly to right, boarded door up one stone step,
rectangular light over, flat stone lintel. Hipped roof above,
ridge chimneys set back on returns each side; gabled end of
village hall above ridge off centre to right. Inside, village hall
in right half of first yard, mixed timber and iron trusses. Hall
thought to have been made by 1873 when used for services during
rebuilding of church. Forms group with church and Toddington House
(q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and The Forest of Dean, 1970)


Listing NGR: SP0352833003

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.