History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lych Gate at the Entrance to the Churchyard of the Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Badgeworth, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8713 / 51°52'16"N

Longitude: -2.1435 / 2°8'36"W

OS Eastings: 390219

OS Northings: 219198

OS Grid: SO902191

Mapcode National: GBR 1L3.QWR

Mapcode Global: VH94D.S7PB

Entry Name: Lych Gate at the Entrance to the Churchyard of the Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 22 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134958

Location: Badgeworth, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL51

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Badgeworth

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Badgeworth Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Brockworth

Listing Text

BADGEWORTH BADGEWORTH VILLAGE .
SO 91 NW

4/6 Lych gate at the entrance to the
churchyard of the Church of the
Holy Trinity

GV II

Lych gate with the inscription 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN LOVING
MEMORY OF JANE UNWIN WHO DIED AUGUST 1916 / THIS LYCH GATE WAS
ERECTED BY HER SIX CHILDREN'. Timber-framed lych gate with random
squared and dressed stone side walls and stone slate roof. Gable
with decorative curved bracing, image niche with the Madonna and
child and a crocketed canopy set within king post in gable.
Inscription 'HER CHILDREN RISE UP AND CALL HER BLESSED' on the tie-
beam. Wide moulded 4-centred arched entrance with pierced
spandrels; double gates with pierced panelling at the top, cast
iron trellis work and fleur de lys within the open parts; similar
panels either side of the lych gate. Two image niches with
crocketed canopies containing small wooden statuettes of saints;
cusped barge board with a pendant and an upright cross finial.
More ornate pierced barge board to the opposite gable. Musical
stave and the words 'O rest in the lord' carved on the tie-beam
below.


Listing NGR: SO9022119198

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.