History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

62, 63

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanway, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9803 / 51°58'49"N

Longitude: -1.9284 / 1°55'42"W

OS Eastings: 405016

OS Northings: 231321

OS Grid: SP050313

Mapcode National: GBR 3MP.Z41

Mapcode Global: VHB1D.JHD7

Entry Name: 62, 63

Listing Date: 7 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134891

Location: Stanway, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Stanway

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Toddington, Stanway and Didbrook and Hailes

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Toddington

Listing Text

STANWAY DIDBROOK
SP 03 SE
4/105 Nos 62, 63
GV II
Two semi-detached cottages. C15, C18, C19, altered C20. Timber-
frame, infilled stone and brick on front, rendered panels right
return, coursed, squared stone; stone slate roof. Two-bay, 1 1/2-
storey, probably 2-room deep. To road: random rubble plinth,
timber-framed, storey-height panels, with long braces from main
posts to sill, stone infill below, brick above. Half-glazed door
off-centre to left, up one concrete step, scar of porch roof over.
Either side a late C20 mullion and transom window, leaded lights.
Two gabled dormers, with 2-light casement windows, one with
original iron frame: stone and brick ridge chimney in centre.
Right return: wavy crucks, original sill remains only at ends,
stone sill wall built up between late C20 to higher level: wall
post on left, stone of rear elevation on right. In centre half-
glazed door, former lean-to porch removed. Two collars, close-set
studs below and between, single panel above with yoke just below
ridge; blocking pieces for purlins. Original building had lower
eaves. Interior not inspected.
(N. Lloyd, A History of the English House, 1949; 0. Cook and E.,
Smith, English Cottages and Farmhouses, 1954; D. Verey,
Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970)


Listing NGR: SP0501631321

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.