History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden Wall to South of Stanway House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanway, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9894 / 51°59'21"N

Longitude: -1.9122 / 1°54'43"W

OS Eastings: 406125

OS Northings: 232327

OS Grid: SP061323

Mapcode National: GBR 3MQ.9C7

Mapcode Global: VHB1D.S8Y9

Entry Name: Garden Wall to South of Stanway House

Listing Date: 7 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134911

Location: Stanway, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Stanway

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Toddington, Stanway and Didbrook and Hailes

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Toddington

Listing Text

STANWAY STANWAY VILLAGE
SP 0632-0732
13/125 Garden Wall, to south of
Stanway House
GV II
Garden wall. Probably late C17 or early C18. Ashlar wall.
Wall extends about 43m away from gatehouse along side of road:
turns at angle to run about 40m along lane to Estate Yard.
Section by road about 4m high, vertical joint to gatehouse:
plinth, capping in 3 courses, sloping outwards towards road,
overhanging wall at foot. Three paired oval openings, moulded
surrounds with keys. At corner wall reduces in height to about
2m, with flat top: blocked doorway near far end, flat stone
lintel. On garden side ground much higher: oval openings at back
of rectangular recesses, moulded, eared surrounds. Between
openings are small recesses with ogee heads, 5 in all. Stub of
demolished wall extending at right angles to first section at
corner: lower wall thickened slightly at far end. Walls appear
on Kyp engraving of 1712.
(Atkyns, The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire, 1712;
D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970)


Listing NGR: SP0612332314

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.