This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0061 / 52°0'22"N
Longitude: -1.9028 / 1°54'9"W
OS Eastings: 406770
OS Northings: 234191
OS Grid: SP067341
Mapcode National: GBR 3MJ.5R0
Mapcode Global: VHB16.YTYZ
Entry Name: The Manor and Warne Cottage
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Last Amended: 7 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091838
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134875
Location: Stanton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, WR12
Civil Parish: Stanton
Built-Up Area: Stanton (Tewkesbury)
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stanton and Snowshill
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
STANTON STANWAY ROAD
11/91 The Manor and Warne Cottage
(formerly listed as Manor House,
Manor Way and Warne Cottage)
Formerly manor house, now one house and attached cottage. Early
C16, 1577 for T. Warren (datestone), early C17, altered C18,
probably C19, minor alterations early and mid C20. Roughly
squared, coursed stone, stone slate roof. Three-room wing on
right, gable to road, lower extension beyond; short link left to
'U' plan block, with long rear wing, all one room deep, 2 1/2 storeys.
Facing road, right wing, plinth, mullioned windows with hollow
chamfer, arched heads to lights, sunk spandrels, hoodmoulds.
Gable, projecting chimney, string course, stone offsets, ashlar
chimney with moulded cap; single slit either side to attic;
parapet gable. Right return: 4-light window; boarded door up 3
stone steps, double ovolo surround, 4-centred arch with carved
spandrels, strapwork frieze over, moulded cornice. Two-light
window beyond, over 3-light in plinth to cellar, with plain chamfer
and flat head. Above 3-light and 2-light windows, right gable
stone slated; lower wing beyond. Left return, 3-light window to
ground and first floor, 4-light casement in gabled dormer, king-
post and curved braces, render between. Short link on left to 'U'
shaped block, slit window to stairs. Right wing of 'U' wider than
left: 4-light mullioned window, hollow chamfer, hoodmould.
Boarded door with cover strips in recess , with semi-circular
headed small door cut into it; chamfered arris, flat stone lintel,
datestone over. Single light in right return left wing; 3-light
mullion and transom to front, with hoodmould: to left jamb of
former sash window with deep stone lintel. Above, 3-light
mullioned window in right wing, hollow chamfer, hoodmould; similar
2-light over door; single-light windows in centre returns to
wings; 2-light mullion and transom window left wing, 2-light
mullion with hoodmould right wing, single-light left; parapet
gables, cross-gablet apices with finials. Ashlar chimney parapet
gable, left end and on ridge to right of door, both moulded caps.
Interior: some walls timber-framed inside. Jacobean decoration
to inside door: dogleg stairs with square newels, turned
balusters, pulvinated string, moulded handrail: spiral stone stair
with wood treads off to front: exposed beam and ceiling joists.
Front room right wing, wide stone fireplace; 8 fielded-panel door,
C18 cupboard with semi-circular back and head, panelled door below,
fielded panel over: moulded plaster ceiling. Room to left, wide
stone fireplace, flat 3-centred arch in timber lintel, moulded
edge; oven and stone seat off fireplace on left: panelled
shutters; ceiling divided into 8 by long and cross beams. First
floor: 3-panel doors to landing, right wing; 3-board door to
spiral stairs, with very old lock. Front room, right wing, stone
fireplace and lintel; traces of C16 wall painting, exposed beam
and joists in ceiling. Room to left stone fireplace surround with
moulded shelf, cast-iron fireback with 2 figures, 2 panelled doors.
Trusses, tie-beam and angled struts, one pair purlins, square
ridge. Interior of Warne Cottage not inspected. Right wing
early C16, as cross wing; 'U' range built 1577 partly on site of
(Photographs at N.M.R.; W. G. Davie and E. G.'Dawber, Cottages,
Farmhouses...... in the Cotswold District, 1904; D. Verey,
Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)
Listing NGR: SP0677034191
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings