History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Freeman's Court and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Twyning, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0334 / 52°2'0"N

Longitude: -2.1497 / 2°8'58"W

OS Eastings: 389828

OS Northings: 237228

OS Grid: SO898372

Mapcode National: GBR 1J5.HBD

Mapcode Global: VH93M.P5D1

Entry Name: Freeman's Court and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134581

Location: Twyning, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Twyning

Built-Up Area: Twyning

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Twyning St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Church End

Listing Text

SO 8937 TWYNING TWYNING GREEN


12/173 Freeman's Court and
attached outbuildings

4.7.60

II


Large detached house. C17 and C18. C17 core square-panelled
timber framing with rendered infill, C18 extensions brick. Tile
roof with brick stacks. Possibly rectangular timber-framed range
at centre with C18 extension at both gable ends. The extension at
the east gable end is extended north and south to form a 'T'-shaped
plan to the present house. Outbuildings to north are attached to
the main body via an open-fronted lean-to. House; two storeys and
attic. All windows to C17 and C18 ranges casements with glazing
bars. Gable ends of C18 extensions lit by casements within
segmental-headed surrounds. Bands over windows on each floor.
Garden front; with gable projecting forwards on right (gable end
rebuilt in brick C20). Five-panelled door under a lean-to canopy
to the left of the projecting gable. Twelve-pane sash with wide
glazing bars to ground floor of right-hand return. Blocked window
above with a wooden cross-mullioned window with glazing bars to the
right. Large axial stack to timber-framed part possibly dated and
initialled 'I T 1773' on a rectangular limestone plaque from timber
framed main body. Ball finials at gable ends.
House interior; some turned balusters remain from a C17-early C18
staircase. Cellar with corbel-like feature with brattishing and 3
small holes on the horizontal surface (possibly for candles) and a
segmental-headed passage leading to the outside, possibly a bolt
hole.


Listing NGR: SO8982837228

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.