History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 6 Headstones in the Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Immediately North of the Elizabeth Lockwood Cross to South of the South Aisle

A Grade II Listed Building in Prestbury, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9143 / 51°54'51"N

Longitude: -2.045 / 2°2'41"W

OS Eastings: 397002

OS Northings: 223974

OS Grid: SO970239

Mapcode National: GBR 2LZ.ZS5

Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.H4RV

Entry Name: Group of 6 Headstones in the Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Immediately North of the Elizabeth Lockwood Cross to South of the South Aisle

Listing Date: 25 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091907

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134489

Location: Prestbury, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Civil Parish: Prestbury

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Southam

Listing Text

SO 9724 PRESTBURY MILL STREET
(south side)

18/81 Group of six headstones in
the churchyard of the Church of
St Mary, immediately north of the
Elizabeth Lockwood cross to south

GV II


Group of six headstones. Early C18. Limestone. Headstone at west
end of group. Mid-late C18. Cartouche-like inscription plaque
with three winged angels' heads at top. No legible inscription.
Pair of headstones c2.5m to east. Segmental-headed headstone on
left dated 1718. Partially legible inscription. Moulded capping
with shell-like motif at centre of top.
Headstone immediately to right with left-hand side now broken away.
Partially legible inscription with moulded margin and curving
brackets at top.
Pair of headstones c2.5m to north. Left-hand stone dated 1714.
Partially legible inscription. Segmental-head with a shell-like
motif at centre of top. Barley-twist margin either side of
inscription.
Headstone to right dated 1703 with a partially legible inscription.
Swags either side of inscription. Top of stone comprises two
curving brackets.
Single headstone c3m to east to Thomas Randell, died 1700, with
raised roll-moulded margin and scrollwork carving and quadrant
corners.


Listing NGR: SO9700223974

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.