This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9015 / 50°54'5"N
Longitude: -1.4043 / 1°24'15"W
OS Eastings: 441986
OS Northings: 111504
OS Grid: SU419115
Mapcode National: GBR RQQ.M7
Mapcode Global: FRA 76YQ.GQ6
Entry Name: Midland Bank Limited
Listing Date: 8 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135845
Location: Southampton, SO14
County: City of Southampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Bargate
Built-Up Area: Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. HIGH STREET
5239 (west side)
Nos 165 to 168 (consec)
(Midland Bank Limited)
SU 4111 3/149
Built in 1900 by T. B. Whinney in Neo-Baroque style. Corner building. Built
of stone. Three bays to High Street elevation, 6 bays to Albion Place elevation.
Hipped slate roof. Dormers with curved pediments and tall Italianate style
chimney stacks. Elaborate balustrade to High Street elevation. Two cupolas
at corners with 8 Doric columns to each with 4 pediments above, one having
finial the other a weathervane also. Modillion cornices between floors.
First floor windows have Gibbs surrounds with blank shields over keystones.
Curved pediment above corner window. The ground floor has 4 tall engaged
Roman Doric columns. Rusticated round-headed arches with grotesque masks
to keystones. The corner doorcase has an oculus above and open curved pediment
supported by putti and further elaborate blank shield above this. Doorcase
with cornice and console brackets.
Listing NGR: SU4196711506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings