This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.908 / 50°54'28"N
Longitude: -1.4065 / 1°24'23"W
OS Eastings: 441825
OS Northings: 112229
OS Grid: SU418122
Mapcode National: GBR RQB.YZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 76YP.V5Z
Entry Name: Southampton Civic Centre
Listing Date: 10 October 1980
Last Amended: 8 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092036
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135794
Location: Southampton, SO14
County: City of Southampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Bargate
Built-Up Area: Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 4112 CIVIC CENTRE ROAD
Southampton Civic Centre
(Formerly Listed as: CIVIC
CENTRE ROAD Civic Centre)
Includes: Southampton Civic Centre, WEST MARLANDS ROAD
Constructed between 1928 and 1939. Architect E Berry Webber following competition.
PLAN: a quadrangle of buildings with their principal facades facing outwards. On the west the Law Courts, on the south The Municipal Offices, on the east the Guildhall and on the north the Art Block. EXTERIOR: all the buildings symmetrical in composition, generally Classical in style and faced in Portland stone. Law Courts Centrepiece in the hall arched recess containing the entrance and flanked by 9-bay lower 2-storeyed wings. Above and behind the entrance rises the tall, gently tapering tower with clock, open bell stage and low pyramidal roof. Municipal Offices has pedimented centrepiece with the entrance within a tall arched recess above which is/are the City's Arms. Left and right, 5-bay lower 2-storeyed wings link with transverse administration blocks to form a shallow courtyard whose short sides terminate in sparsely fenestrated corner pedimented pavilions. The transverse blocks with 6-bay facades. The Guildhall has a large gabled public assembly hall with refreshment rooms left and right and a lower flat-roofed entrance hall with hexastyle Ionic portico. Wings to left and right create a courtyard. The Art Block was originally designed to house the Art Gallery and School of Art but was later required to house also the Central Library; so that the central entrance leads to the Art Gallery on the first floor and a porch on the left of the courtyard leads to the Library and one on the right leads to the School of Art on the ground floor under the Art Gallery. The composition is again that of a centrepiece with flanking wings and side blocks to form a courtyard. INTERIOR: not inspected. _
Listing NGR: SU4255313582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings