History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Faith

A Grade II* Listed Building in Havant, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8512 / 50°51'4"N

Longitude: -0.9819 / 0°58'54"W

OS Eastings: 471764

OS Northings: 106238

OS Grid: SU717062

Mapcode National: GBR BCN.JKD

Mapcode Global: FRA 86TV.C9T

Entry Name: Church of St Faith

Listing Date: 16 May 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092120

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135529

Location: Havant, Hampshire, PO9

County: Hampshire

District: Havant

Town: Havant

Electoral Ward/Division: St Faith's

Built-Up Area: Havant

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Havant St Faith

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Havant

Listing Text

SU 7106 HAVANT WEST STREET
Havant
16.5.52
10/17 CHURCH OF ST FAITH

II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C15, 1832, and 1874. A cruciform transitional
building with later changes, including chancel of the C13, a C14 vestry,
transepts with western aisles of the C15 (the south being much restored)
nave of 4 bays with aisles, having been rebuilt in 1832, and again in
1874, when the tower was rebuilt above the arches. Restored exterior with
flint and stone rubble walls, with stone dressings, red tile roofing with
double gables to the transepts, crenellated parapet and octagonal stair
turret to the tower. Within, the chancel of 2 bays has a quadripartite
ribbed vault and an original lancet, there are old arches on octagonal piers
to the 2-bay north transept, the original tower arches rest on massive
columns with scalloped caps and Purbeck recessed shafts. The later parts
follow the Transitional style, but windows are mostly Perpendicular
traceried lights (with some original fragments). There are several C18
wall monuments and a brass to Thomas Aylward (1413).


Listing NGR: SU7136806330

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.