History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Long Sutton, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2209 / 51°13'15"N

Longitude: -0.9433 / 0°56'36"W

OS Eastings: 473889

OS Northings: 147381

OS Grid: SU738473

Mapcode National: GBR C8L.G9X

Mapcode Global: VHDXZ.LKNY

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 24 November 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092232

English Heritage Legacy ID: 136821

Location: Long Sutton, Hart, Hampshire, RG29

County: Hampshire

District: Hart

Civil Parish: Long Sutton

Built-Up Area: Long Sutton (Hart)

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Long Sutton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Odiham

Listing Text

SU 74 NW LONG SUTTON THE STREET
(North Side)

11/35 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

24.11.61

- II*

C13, C15 and modern. Single cell of nave and chancel, with a slightly
later chapel attached on the south side of the nave. All of the C13, with
a modern north vestry and south porch; C15 timber-framed belfry rising
through the centre of the nave. Red tile roof, bell-turret has a pyramid
roof with shingles and weather-boarded walling. Walling is roughcast or
rendering on flint and stone core, the new vestry is in red brick. Windows
are all original lancets, with a circular light above the 2 at the east
end, but there is also a traceried 2-light window on the north wall of
1340, a west window of 1862, and restored triple lancets in the east wall
of the chapel. The timber-framed porch has a single-slope tile roof, scalloped
barge-board, and panelled side frame above a lower wall. Inside, the main
timber supports to the belfy are arch-braced( there is a chancel arch of
the late C19, a single 13 arch (to the chapel) on ½-round columns, and
a font. The south chapel has an ogee leaded niche above a trefoil piscina,
a painted Royal Coat of Arms of George IV. 3 bells of circa 1520 are chimed.


Listing NGR: SU7391647347

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.