This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.342 / 51°20'31"N
Longitude: -0.8828 / 0°52'58"W
OS Eastings: 477910
OS Northings: 160918
OS Grid: SU779609
Mapcode National: GBR C73.ZJX
Mapcode Global: VHDXF.NJ4K
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 24 November 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092339
English Heritage Legacy ID: 136577
Location: Eversley, Hart, Hampshire, RG27
Civil Parish: Eversley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Eversley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 76 SE EVERSLEY
2/38 Church of St Mary
A church of medieval origin, the east end retaining something of the pattern
of a chancel (now north chapel with a surviving piscina in the south east corner)
and a south chapel of about 1500 (now the chancel). The remainder of the
building is 1724, comprising a nave and a north aisle of almost equal width, a
porch (dated) and a western tower (dated 1735) attached to the north aisle; this
work is by John James (a pupil of Wren). The interior is of 5 narrow bays,
with a plain round-arched arcade on square piers, having simple bands and plinth.
On the outside the brick walling has blue headers with red flush dressings,
comprising jambs which continue upwards, intermediate verticals, with a diaper.
a high plinth, and arches which have blue headers alternating. The round-headed
windows have stone keys, impost blocks and cills. The tower has 3 main stages,
marked by double projecting bands, a plinth, crenellated parapet and tapering
pinnacles above panelled corners. The belfry stage has coupled openings in brick
work within an arched frame, with brick keys and impost blocks. A cambered panel
is in the centre stage and at the lower stage a similar panel (or window) above
an arched recess. The corners of the nave/aisle are pilasters, and the main
(west) gables has an arched panel below a brick dentil band at eaves level.
The plain gabled porch, centred on the symmetrical elevation (south) of the nave
has an arched entrance and similar details. The east end is rendered externally
with corner brick buttresses and a 3-light window on the south side; the 2 east
windows have 'restored Gothic' tracery. within there is a notable chancel screen
(1730), designed as a Roman arcade of 3 bays in the Tuscan order. There are
several C18 wall tablets, an alabaster female figure on a panelled tomb (c1860),
a memorial font of 1867, and a Royal Coat of Arms on the west wall. Charles
Kingsley was rector from 1844 to 1875. Listed grade I for historical associ-
ations with Kingsley.
Listing NGR: SU7827460728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings