This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3265 / 51°19'35"N
Longitude: -1.3569 / 1°21'24"W
OS Eastings: 444905
OS Northings: 158797
OS Grid: SU449587
Mapcode National: GBR 82P.RS3
Mapcode Global: VHCZQ.FXJH
Entry Name: Jackdaws Castle
Listing Date: 16 May 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138114
Location: Highclere, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG20
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Highclere
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Highclere St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 45 NW HIGHCLERE HIGHCLERE PARK
16.5.66 Jackdaws Castle
Circa 1740. Possibly by Lord Pembroke. Roofless rectangular classical temple, on a berm. Each short side has a recessed centrepiece containing an arch (with architrave moulding), the moulded impost band being continued on the side walls to separate an upper circular panel (with keys) from a lower niche; at the top is a modillion entablature which continues on the long sides. The niche feature is repeated at the sides of the long elevations, to meet projecting pilasters, which mark the end of a colonnade of 4 columns, which is surmounted by a pediment. On the inside, the ends are apse-shaped, with niches. The structure is stucco on brickwork, with stone plain plinth, cills to niches, and steps to the colonnade. The Corinthian columns with plain shafts are also of stone and are reputed to have come from the former Devonshire House, Piccadilly; London. Above the entablature, ball finials mark the change of direction and slope.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings